Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I have many cysts in my upper arms and legs. They are painful

I have many cysts in my upper arms and legs. They are painful in my arms to take my blood pressure.... Both of my kids have the same problem. My question is is there a treatment ? Too many to consider surgery.
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 5 years ago.

Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Charogat :

One of the main things differentiating cysts from nodules is that cysts are filled with fluid. Is this what you think the case is?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I do have RA nodules and the fluid seems to form around them too.

Customer:

those are the ones I have had removed

Charogat :

Is fluid forming around these things, or are they fluid filled?

Charogat :

Do they stick around, or do they ever go away on their own?

Customer:

I can't answer that....they do not go away.

Charogat :

If they do not go away then it is much more likely that they are nodules than cysts. If they get very large then your rheumatologist can try taking some fluid out with a needle to find out exactly what it is that is inside them. That would be a way to start figuring out how to treat them.

Charogat :

Also, have any of your doctors ever mentioned the possibility that it is a lipoma?

Customer:

I had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago to have them removed from both elbows. The ones that are back on both elbows are hard like a nodules.

Charogat :

On the elbows are most likely to be nodules from the RA. But were those the ones you were wondering about when you first asked this question?

Customer:

no

Charogat :

I didn't think so.

Charogat :

It seems more likely that the things you have that are not nodules might be lipomas

Charogat :

How do they feel? Hard? Soft? Rubbery?

Customer:

rubbery

Charogat :

That is most likely lipomas. Do you know what that is or shall I explain a bit and provide a link with a lot more information?

Customer:

a link would be great so I don't need to take up your time.

Customer:

Thank you

Charogat :

I don't mind giving my time -- after all you came here to get information. But I think the link will give you much more information.