Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have a two year old thats just started to studder,

i have a two year old thats just started to studder, diificult in getting a word out from studdering. it jujst came on all of a sudden, Will this go away is this a stage they go thru its very sad, tell me it will go away
Studdering or stammering in 2 year olds is very common. This is because between the ages of 30 months and 5 years, kids undergo extremely rapid growth in their speech capabilities and very often their thought process is faster than their speech or movement of the tongue. In most cases, the stammering goes away by the age of 5 years.
But you can consult a speech therapist for help. Speech therapy has been shown to be more effective before the age of five.
I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
yeah but he just like clenches when hes trying to say a word
That is because he is trying to say something but his though processes are way ahead of the muscular strength of his tongue and lips. Please ask him to speak more slowly - that should help.
I hope this helps.

this isnt anything serious is it. with his brain or ANYTHING ITS not anything mentALLY WRONG IS THERE HES SO PRECIOUS I JUST COULDNT STAND THAT. IT WILL GO AWAY, STOP OR GET BETTER WONT IT THE POOR LITTLE THING IYS SO SAD. WHY DID IT JUST COME ON LIKE THAT. ONE DAY I T JUST STARTED

No, this is not anything serious - nothing wrong with his brains.
It should go away by the time he is five, but consulting a speech therapist will help it go away earlier.
I hope this helps.
Please click the green 'Accept' button on this page to pay me for my time. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

do we know how long he will be like this?? How long will it take to go back to normal>> Is there anything here AT HOME WE Can do to help it go away faster???? WHY DID IT JUST COME ON LIKE LIKE OUT OF THE BLUE?? JUST ONE DAY IT STARTED WHY////?????

THis RE MY last questions Im sorry....

Relist: Other.
ive been waitiung way too long for this answer
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!
If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
I am sorry that you had to wait very long for an answer,
I can understand your anxiety, so let me try to assist in the best possible way ....
While stuttering is quite common and approximately 1 in 20 children will stutter in their preschool years, there are marked individual differences. Stuttering may begin gradually or suddenly. Children may stutter mildly or severely and they may be upset by it or completely unconcerned. Stuttering usually fluctuates, sometimes disappearing for days and then reappearing. It often increases when the children are excited or tired. Although it is true that many children who stutter do grow out of it without treatment, it is not possible to predict with any accuracy which children will and how long it will take. We also still don't know what exactly causes stuttering but as a parent, you can be reassured that it is not caused by a traumatic event, nervousness, low intelligence, bad parenting, or imitation. The best course of action is to contact a Speech Language Therapist who specializes in the treatment of stuttering and make an appointment for an assessment.
http://www.stuttering.co.nz/Default.aspx?id=14
Coming to your specific case,
Since there is some amount of anxiety - clenching associated with the stuttering, it is not just a normal dysfluency, and qualifies as a stutter. This, along with your concern, merits a visit to the speech therapist for evaluation and treatment.
Here are a few things that you can do at home,
Try to model slow and relaxed speech when talking with your child, and encourage other family members to do the same. Don't speak so slowly that it sounds abnormal, but keep it unhurried, with many pauses. Slow and relaxed speech can be the most effective when combined with some time each day for the child to have one parent's undivided attention. A few minutes can be set aside at a regular time when you are doing nothing else but listening to your child talk about whatever is on his mind. When your child talks to you or asks you a question, try to pause a second or so before you answer. This will help make talking to your child less hurried, more relaxed. ry not to be upset or annoyed when stuttering increases. Your child is doing his best as he copes with learning many new skills all at the same time. Your patient, accepting attitude will help him immensely.
Do remember, Effortless repetitions or prolongations of sounds are the healthiest form of stuttering. Anything that helps your child stutter like this instead of stuttering tensely or avoiding words is helping.
Finally, If your child is frustrated or upset at times when his stuttering is worse, reassure him. Some children respond well to hearing, "I know it's hard to talk at times...but lots of people get stuck on words...it's okay." Other children are most reassured by a touch or a hug when they seem frustrated.
http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=6
With these home tips, you are ready to ask your pediatrician for an appointment with a speech therapist for further evaluation and more tips to be able to deal with this :)
Don't worry, this too shall pass, and for most preschoolers, it goes of pretty soon, with or without any intervention,
Finally,
http://www.stutteringhelp.org/
is a great web resource to help you in your quest to understand more about this disease, use it !
Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications
i want to thank you for takiing the time and explaining this to me. Its not my son its my grandson, . You hVE CLEARED UP ALOT OF CONCERNS I HAD AND YOU WERE SO KIND IN EXPLAINING THING WE CAN DO AT HOME. wELK SINCE I HAVE EMAILED NY DAUGHTER TOOK HIM FOR AN EVALUATION AND THE D TOLD MY DAUGHTER THE EXACT THING YOU HAD WRITTEN TO ME, AMAZZING, BUT I DO WANT TO REST ASSURRED THAT IT WILL CORRECT ITSELF,. wHEN HE IS TIRED OR EXCITED ITS REALLY BAD BUT ITS GETTING ALOT BETTER IN JUST DAYS. COULD THIS BE POSSIBLE>>sEEM LIKE ALREADY HES GETING BETTER. HES A QUICK LEANER AND VERY SMART ABOVE AVERAGE 2 YEAR OLD. AND HES THE MOST PRECIOUS THING TO ME AND IT MAKES ME VERY SAD TO SEE HIM STRUGGLE LIKE THAT BUT THAT IS EVEN GETING BETTER. CAN IT BE GETTING BETTER SO SOON OR IS IT JUST OUR IMAGINATION???
I am happy that I was able to assist you in a positive way. It is certainly heartening to note that he is already getting better. I do believe that parental assessment is quite important in this situation, and if you feel that your grandson is getting better, then this is very likely what is happening.
I would suggest that you should continue doing the interventions that have been suggested by the doctor, and don't worry too much. As I have stated above, it appears that he has a mild case of stuttering and he will get better soon :)
Just a small request, please remember to press the GREEN accept button so that I get paid for the transaction. Once you have done this, please consider leaving a positive feedback too !
Warm regards
Dr Gupta, MD
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
i didnt say he was getting better he was getting worse, thats why i asked you is it the old tail of its got to get WORSE before it gets BETTER... Its no better ny no means,,
I am sorry I did not get that right, I do hope that I have pointed you in the right direction.
You need to continue interacting with the doctor / speech therapist and take it from there,
As stated above, this is very likely going to get better as your son gets older, with the intervention that is being given,
Warm regards