Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Can sinus infection cause a sore throat?

Customer Question
Can a sinus infection cause...

Can a sinus infection cause a severe sore throat? I can hardly swallow it is so painful and post nasal drip makes me feel like I can breathe.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/8/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD

Good morning.

I am sorry you are not feeling well.
Do you have any pus spots on your tonsils?
Fever?
Swollen glands in the front of your neck?

No fever or pus, my glands are swollen.

OK, Thank you.
Without fever or pus spots, that basically rules out strep throat, the main cause of a bacterial throat infection.

When someone has an upper respiratory infection/sinus infection, a sore throat is not an uncommon symptom. This can be due to postnasal drainage but it can also be due to the same virus causing your sinus infection also causing a throat infection.

Warm salt water gargles, throat lozenges and sprays, an herbal tea called Throat Coat and ibuprofen or acetaminophen can aid with soothing the throat.

If a sore throat persists and you are unable to eat or drink due to the pain, you should have your doctor do a throat culture just to confirm that it is not bacterial.

I hope that you feel better soon!
Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions,

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD

Please help I have constant post nasal drip that is thin. It feels like water is constantly dripping down my throat. I choke when I am eating or talking and I can't even work. I am constantly clearing my throat. I am allergic to nasal steroid sprays. What can I do to dry it up or stop it?? It's making me miserable

I am sorry you are so miserable...

One thing you may wish to try is Nasalease which is a homeopathic remedy. It does not have any studies to back it up showing it is that useful, however.
Antihistamines can help those who have drainage due to allergies.
You may need to see an ENT if the drainage continues and you cannot find anything that is helpful for you...a course of oral steroids helps some people with severe sinusitis...

I hope that you feel better..I am sorry to see you are still struggling.

Thank you, ***** ***** try that. Can a sinus infection cause bronchitis? I have a horrible cough sorta wet. I just finished five days of antibiotics. Lots of post nasal drip.

The underlying cause of the sinus infection can often cause bronchitis.
If you have a wet, painful cough, you may have bronchitis...this is usually a virus that rarely requires antibiotics unless you have recently or are currently taking oral steroids, have other illnesses (emphysema, immunosuppression) or if you are elderly (I don't have your age...)

If you haven't followed up with your doctor since we began conversing, it may not be a bad idea...this has been going on for a while and seems to be progressing.

I hope that things start to turn the corner and get better!!

yes, I finally followed up with my doctor who still thinks it is a sinus infection and now bronchitis. I have a low-grade fever. She put me on another dose of antibiotics :-\ and prednisone. I am usually healthy and able to fight off bugs within a week. I have asthma allergies could this be the reason it is taking forever to go away? Starting to worry....

Yes, asthma can certainly affect how long this takes to go away.
It is not unusual for it to be persistent...but I always recommend follow up for further treatment when it is lasting for a while.

The steroids should help...
I hope that you start to improve over the next few days.

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD