Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My wife suffers from extreme constipation. This has been

Customer Question
going on for years. It...
my wife suffers from extreme constipation. This has been going on for years. It is presently very bad and is causing her a lot of pain and keeps her very irritable. She wants to know if diet drinks could be one of the causes. What type of doctor should I take her to? She has got no help from her MD's as they do not grasp the extent or seriousness of the problem and never believe how long it is between bowel movements What can she take to help her?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
4/1/2012
Health Professional: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 5 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

It is very unfortunate that your wife is sufferring from severe constipation problem.

mysticdoc :

She likely has intestinal motility problem.

mysticdoc :

This is difficult to diagnose as there is no specific tests easily available.

mysticdoc :

Specialized tests are only performed at bigger centers to look for the motility disorder.

mysticdoc :

Hence, she needs to see a gastroenterologist in a reputed center like Mayo clinic.

mysticdoc :

For now, she needs to follow a high fiber based diet.

mysticdoc :

Diet soda should be avoided as this can cause constipation.

mysticdoc :

In fact any sweetened drinks can cause this problem.

mysticdoc :

You should avoid milk and dairy products like cheese etc.

They cause bloating

You can consider avoiding wheat related products as well later if there is no improvement with dairy elimination.

Your diet should contain moderate amount of dietary fibers.

Initially you should cook your vegetables well to make the fibers soluble for easy digestion.

Avoid meat, fish, chicken, eggs.

No animal products.

You can have plant proteins, like tofu, tempeh, lentils, rice etc.

Avoid nuts, seeds, beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower.

Also avoid sweets, cake, dessert, ice cream, caffeine as they worsen acid reflux and bloating symptoms.

Add Dill weed powder and caraway seeds to your food every time.

Try aloe vera 1/4 cup + pomegranate juice 1/2 cup every morning-- helps digestion.

Also try Dandelion tea 1-2 cups daily, white bean hummus—they help to prevent bloating.

Also take 2 cloves of garlic daily, wormwood tea 1 cup daily, papaya seed and honey mixture daily to prevent bloating and gas.

These changes will help in improving your symptoms in next few months.

You can take Methylcellulose supplement like Citrucel 2 table spoon full in a glass of water daily to make sure you have smooth bowel movement.

A shot of sesame oil daily prevents constipation.

Also consider taking a probiotic daily.

Phillip's Colon Health is a good probiotic and helps in improving colon health.

Also take activated charcoal supplements daily and drink 1 cup of peppermint tea in the morning and evening daily to prevent acid reflux.

Aloe vera juice, chewing gum daily will prevent acid reflux as well.

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

A blend of Psyllium+raspberries+oatbran+pumpkin seeds in the morning with breakfast daily will help with constipation.

Customer:

How can you get to into a place like the Mayo Clinic?

mysticdoc :

You just need to contact them directly.

mysticdoc :

No referral is required.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist