Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I'm a healthy and fit male. I have had this chronic or deep

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a healthy and fit male. I have had this chronic or deep caulf that will not go away. It bothers me more at night. Starts with a tickle in the throat, then a deep in my chest. Sometimes constant. Iv'e been taking all kinds of over the counter to suppress and loosen mucus. Does not seem to work. Its been about 10 days now. Do I need to see a doctor for x-ray. Or can i go to a CVS type nurse to proscribe some type of antibiotics? I'm self insured and unemployed. I would rather see CVS only to refereed to urgent care or something and pay twice if they cannot take care of it by procribing drugs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.
Greetings.

Do you have fever, phlegm, headache, nose block?
Any significant past medical history?
Do you have heart burn, food reflux?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of above. Feel find other than issue. Little headache. Might be more due to lack of sleep do to cauf keeps me up.

Your symptoms are suggestive of post nasal drip. It is also called as Chronic Upper Airway Cough Syndrome Secondary to Rhinosinus Diseases (Postnasal Drip Syndrome). The pathogenesis of this cough is mechanical stimulation of the cough reflex in the upper airway. The clinical presentation are combination of any of the following;

1) a sensation of something draining into the throat,

2) a need to clear the throat,

3) a tickle in the throat,

The treatment is;

1) nasal saline spray; do not need prescription for it.

2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,

3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and

4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter.

You may consult nurse practioner, who can provide you the prescription for these medicines.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun