Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was worried my tongue was swelling, but I am not sure how

I was worried my tongue was swelling, but I am not sure how to tell. I have never had this before, although I did get tested for allergies a few months ago do to a break out of hives. My tongue feels a bit "tired" like a tired muscle and kind of slightly sore. I ate about 2.5 hours ago. I had some steamed chicken, frozen vegetables and some butter, with some milk and a banana as a snack.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.
Did swelling in tongue started all of a sudden?
Do you have pain in swallowing food?
Any bumps or blisters on tongue?
Any past significant medical illness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello, thanks for your reply. No, I feel it was more gradual, I am not sure when it actually started, but probably at least a couple hours at least. Now its a bit on my mind so Im noticing it. No pain swallowing food, no problem talking, breathing, or drinking. No blisters that I can notice. I dont think any past history of illness, although I did have that allergy episode with the hives a few months ago. I also get acid reflux and low stomach pains at times, but its been on/off for years.

i just took a couple pix of my tongue and mouth.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/s7fus

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/y1bjm
Thanks for providing detailed information and clear pics.
It is called as angiodema, and is indicative of severe allergic reaction. You need to take oral antihistamine like Benadryl at the earliest , this is available as OTC.
You may be sensitive to food or sometimes exact cause is not known.
You should apply cold compresses to the tongue. If the swelling worsens or it spreads to other parts of face, then please do not delay and rush to ER immediately.
Good luck and take care.
If you have any other questions, please ask them.
Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Positive Feedback & BONUS are appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You think my tongue does look swollen? please clarify, now I am quite nervous.
You have developed an allergic reaction, and can be severe in nature. Yes, your tongue looks swollen. You need to follow the tips as advised in previous post.
Good luck and take care.