Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have a weird feeling in my left leg. My leg feels heavy

I have a weird feeling in my left leg. My leg feels heavy and my big toe feells a bit numb. Behind my knee almost feels like I have a tourniquet around the knee. There is also swelling in my ankles.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had this? Is it only in one leg. Looking at your legs together, is there any noticeable difference in color? Do you have a tape measure? Are you ankles swollen equally?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is only my left leg and it's been just about 2 weeks. My left ankle is visibly more swollen than the right. I am black and dark complected so it i shard to tell if there is a differnce in color. When I sit with my knee bent, there is a tightness around the knee as if there is something around it that too tight.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm so sorry I stepped away for a minute.

The potential issue here is that there could be an obstruction of a vein, known as deep vein thrombosis. Your description sounds very suspicious for this. Risk factors are such things as obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, low activity level, birth control pills, or genetic blood coagulation disorders.

It is important that you have this evaluated soon. The sooner treatment is started, the better. The main danger is a piece breaking off and going to your lung, heart or brain, causing potentially a pulmonary embolism, heart attack or stroke. Unfortunately, many people are not diagnosed until a stroke, or death from pulmonary embolism occurs. So you are fortunate to have these symptoms - in that you can get treated and prevent one of these catastrophic events from occurring.

The work up you will require will likely include blood sample testing (such as a D dimer and coagulation profile), ultrasound, possibly an MRI. If deep vein thrombosis is found, you may need a short period of hospitalization for the initiation of anti-coagulation (blood thinner) treatment.

Please do consider this serious and call your doctor first thing in the morning or go to ER.

Let me know if you have any questions by replying to this post.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
I hope you are well. Have you had your leg evaluated, and if so, what was found?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.