CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I am a nurse who was terminated for one incident of "mild

I am a nurse who was terminated for one incident of "mild misconduct" in that I changed the nursing assignment by one patient so that I could attend a mandatory meeting at the end of the shift. For this I was terminated after 13 years of employment. I have been unable to find work due to the fact that when they call my last employer they are told that I am not "re-hireable". Do you have any suggestions? I have 20 years acute care experience and would like to go back to work as a nurse but feel I have been black-balled by my former employer because of policitics in the workplace. I have never harmed a patient, gotten good evals over the past 13 years, and feel I was wrongfully terminated, although in the state of NJ we apparently have no rights if there is not union.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am very happy to help you today. As a Director of Nursing I can tell you my best recommendation. When you go in for your interview, tell the interviewer exactly what happened. You don't have to do into lengthy details... but tell him/her what transpired, including the reasons you changed the assignment and the fact that you believed this to be acceptable as coverage for the patient was provided. If you do not do this, when your reference is called and your status is revealed " not eligible for rehire" is provided, your potential employer will assume you have been dishonest and will most likely not consider you for employment. The fact that you worked there successfully for 13 years is a big plus in your favor. If you have saved any thank you cards or letters of thanks from Patients or their families, bring them with you. If you have copies of favorable evaluations, bring them also. Be sure to highlight all the good things you did while employed. Please let me know if I can help further. I wish you all the best! :-)

CamilleRN :

Another consideration is to talk to some of your previous co workers and supervisors and ask for a letter of recommendation... or personal reference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help, and I will take your advise. Wish me luck, it's been 5 months, and I nearly had at least 2 positions I thought I would get until they contacted my old employer. I have been honest letting the new employer know I have been terminated and for what, but still have not been able to get employment. I have put references of coworkers on my resume, but none have been called so I think it stops after the response from prior employer. I may look into some other career if this continues. Thanks again.