Andy PhD DABT
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience:  Board certified with 20 years in research or consulting
58853142

What is ALS? and what & how does it work? How accurate is this

What is ALS? and what & how does it work? How accurate is this test?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
What test exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alternate Light Source
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
What is the medical situation
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
accused of choking someone, they stated they went to hospital & a Alternate Light Source was done & they are claiming the doctor said they could tell she was choked, would the the test outline my fingers, would we be able to tell if my fingers fit the outline shadow?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
sorry this is not a health question really but yes there are alternate light sources used in forensics.
Here is a write up
http://www.enotes.com/alternate-light-source-analysis-reference/alternate-light-source-analysis

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you elaborate a little more, I really wasn't able to get anything from your response!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
sorry I am going to opt out so other experts can help you
hang on
don't post or it will lock back to me
Expert:  Camille-Moderator replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Expert has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes if your able to find someone to answer the question I'll wait.

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

I may be able to explain this further for you. Basically Alternate Light Source is not one specific test, but a general name for a number of slightly different techniques used in forensic investigations. Many organic materials can be seen using different wavelenghts of light, such materials include fingerprints, semen, saliva, blood, urine, and some fiber materials. One benefit for using an alternate light source for looking at fingerprints is that other chemicals, such as fingerprint powder, are not needed as the fingerprint will "light up" on their own. This makes it easy to see finger prints on skin where you would not want to put fingerprint powder.

In the case you are describing saliva, semen, blood, urine, and fibers are probably not what they were looking for as they would not be able to identify you as the choker. However if they found your fingerprints on the victim's neck then that would indicate they were chocked by you, especially if the hand and fingers were oriented in a way to indicate that you had your hands around their neck.

So this can be pretty convincing evidence to identify you are the choker. To become evidence in a court of law, they would have had to photograph the fingerprints. Here is an example of what it might look like, the photos will alternate between normal light and alternate light (http://www.fosterfreeman.com/images/stories/products/csi/CLXL%20APPS/palmprint.gif)[more infomation on that picture http://www.fosterfreeman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159:crime-liter-xl&catid=5:forensiclightsources&Itemid=35&gclid=COKPgbKIhq8CFUURNAod3wIzAg].

I hope this answers your questions.

Take care,
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience: Board certified with 20 years in research or consulting