Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Early morning leg cramp while sleeping. What are the causes/

Customer Question
Early morning leg cramp while...
Early morning leg cramp while sleeping. What are the causes/ and how to prevent it to happen?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
3/13/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.

How long the symptom is there?

When did you consult doctor last for it?

Any test taken?

Is there any previous disease?

Thank you.
It has been happening on and off when i reached 60 years. (now i am 64, weigh 50 kg, 1.53 meter tall)

The doctor i consulted said taht it happens in old age. They can't tell what causes it. When it happens, it last about 5 minutes of pain and cramp in the calf down to toes. I can only trey to message it to let it return to normal. No test was taken. No previous disease.

Now i am on medication for high blodd pressure, cholesterol control, heart condition drug:

Micardis Plus, Amlodipine, Zocor, Cardiprin, Bisoprolol (concor), Nexum. Can these drugs cause the leg cramp?
Thank you for the information,

There can be a number of causes of cramps of the legs while sleeping.

Dehydration, deficiency of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium-electrolytes, vitamins , muscle fatigue etc. can cause cramps.

Peripheral artery disease causing circulation abnormalities also can cause muscle spasm.

Systemic diseases like diabetes, low thyroid, Parkinson's disease, liver disorder like cirrhosis, kidney disease, alcoholism & others can be associated with it.

Sometimes no cause can be apparent too & can be difficult to treat.

You have tried some home measures-

Please take plenty of fluid, fruits, vegetables etc.

If you take coffee, alcohol, tobacco etc. you can avoid those.

Stretching, warm bath can be taken.

Regular exercise or a walk daily can be helpful

Sometimes muscle relaxants are prescribed.

You can discuss with your doctor whether it will be suitable for you.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)