Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

For the last 5 years, I've been in a bad work out cycle. If

you look at me you...
For the last 5 years, I've been in a bad work out cycle. If you look at me you can tell I work out, I have an athletic build, low BMI and by all appearences, don't look like I'm in bad shape. However for the last 5 years, I'll start my work out routine for the 1st week, things will go pretty well. Shakey, as it is always is starting out, but feeling good. By week 2, I'll have 60% less energy, and by week 3, I'll have almost none- barely able to get off the couch, out of bed in the morning. And for the next 1.5-2 months I won't work out. This has gone on for at least 5 years. I drink at least a liter of water a day, eat fairly regularly, and healthy. I feel like I'm going nuts but the bouts of sheer exhaustion is getting worse as I get older. Help!!
3/1/2012
DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Hello
Have you been examined and had tests from any doctor?

Hi Dr-

yes, 3 years ago, however my Doctor said 'everything looks like its in the normal ranges'.

What was tested
Testosterone, my Thyroid levels- I just did an STD test about 4 months ago, all came back fine. I don't however recall the testosterone level, i know there's a range. I just took it as "I'm getting older"- but have since reevaluated and decided that I have less energy than most healthy 45 y/os. It just doesn't make sense. The first week of working out should be the most difficult- not week 2 and 3. When I was in my 20's I was in Special Forces -USMC. I always had explosive energy in the gym, all the way up until 33/34. I know my work has been consistant for the last 6 years- Im in sales and high stress. But I've tried everything.
OK
You need an AM cortisol as a screen for adrenal problems.
See an endocrinologist for this
In addition thyroid can be hypo and the lab will still look normal to a GP in many cases.
Finally a mild case of myasthenia gravis is possible, which is an autoimmune disease in which repetitive muscle use causes weakness....however.

This sounds more like fatigue and can be a mild version of chronic fatigue as well.

All of these possibilities should be discussed.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)

Interesting. I was doing research and cortisol came up. Sounds closer to an answer than I've ever been.

thank you so much Doctor!

Chris

You are welcome anytime
any questions
dt

Interesting to note I came to this forum complaining of the same symptoms back in 2009, thats when I got the testing.I guess the good news is I have a 'history' and its not just out of the blue...maybe that will help me in my plight?

I'll follow your suggestion, thank you again Doctor.

Chris

You are welcome

DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)