Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I had pseudomonas fluorescens infection 4 years ago with

Customer Question
legs freezing, cold sweats, nite...
I had pseudomonas fluorescens infection 4 years ago with legs freezing, cold sweats, nite sweats, dizzines, nausea. Symptoms onset with first cold front. Well was tested with 3x allowable amount pseudomonas, drained, chlorinated and chlorinated each month since. Symptoms resolved. Well not chlorinated this winter and all symptoms returned with onset of cold weather. Treatment has been withheld as all blood tests and cultures are negative. Some cipro and clindamycin helped but did not cure. I had atrial fibrillation this summer which resolved but after 2 months of this infection a heavy heartbeat has returned and I fear endoarditis which can be caused by pseudomonas. I know this is rare but I need help desperately.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
3/1/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hi
Welcome to Just Answer
Do you have fever?

Palpitations?

Shortness of breath either at rest or on exertion?

No fever. When infection was severe, I had 96 degrees and freezing.
Some palpitations which came on recently after 2 months of pseudomonas infection.
Shortness of breath rarely with exertion (associated with palpitations)

Thanks for the input.

Well, every new symptoms that might be suggestive of heart involvement should always be investigated.

In the absence of fever or marked shortness of breath, endocarditis is little unlikley but remains a possibility (as it may present at times in sub-acute forms).

In any case, you need an evaluation by a cardiologist in terms of a clinical examination, and tests like an EKG and Echo.

We need to make sure that we do not miss a cardiac problem here which can become serious.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Kindest Regards ***** ***** luck.

What I really need to know is how to identify the pseudomonas so it can be properly treated. So far, it has eluded CBC's and an ARD blood culture. This is a difficult bug to find in a culture as it doesn't always show up and very difficult to treat.
What other tests can I have done to identify this?

Blood Culture is the gold standard.

An echo can identify the infective vegetations on the heart valves.

Antibiotic course can make the culture results negative, so repeated cultures have to be taken at times.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels may also be raised.

Kindest Regards ***** ***** luck.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor