Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am 49 years young and exercise a good 5 or 6 times a week

I am 49 years young and exercise a good 5 or 6 times a week with 45 minutes of cardio either inside on machines or outside running and 20-30 minutes of light weight training to stay tone. I feel great but have had asthma all my life but using an inhaler seems to help my breathing on the days that I run. In the winter if I dont use my inhaler it is very hard to breathe in the cold air but if I do use it my lungs hurt a little and it seems as thou I have a lingering cough for a day or 2 after running then everything goes back to normal. In the summer it never bothers me it only seems to be a problem year after year in the winter so I cut down on my running to avoid the issue. Any other suggestions?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Asthma may get worse during winter months.

mysticdoc :

This is due to the cold climate itself causing bronchoconstriction.

mysticdoc :

The best option will be to use a long acting bronchodilator and steroid inhaler like Symbicort or Advair.

mysticdoc :

This inhaler should be used 2 puffs twice daily.

mysticdoc :

Different strengths are available.

mysticdoc :

Lowest possible dose should be started with and then can be increased if required.

mysticdoc :

You need to use Advair or Symbicort everyday for better effect.

mysticdoc :

Please see a lung specialist for further evaluation.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the coughing a normal thing for runners with asthma in the cold? After a day or 2 of exercising indoors it does go away.
Yes it is normal.
That is why good control of the asthma with the inhalers I mentioned will resolve the issue.