Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for

Customer Question
over 5 years. I have...
I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for over 5 years. I have acid reflux as a result and I am getting an endoscopy this week. I have a hard time swallowing food lately. I feel like my throat is tightening up and I will just pick at food. As a result Ive lost alot of weight and now Im resorting to eating a little and blending fruits and veggies and drinking them. What can I do about the throat problem. Is it mental? Because I do feel like the food is having a hard time going down.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Important question--how long ago did this start and was it like just one certain day it was there full blown?
It started 3 days ago. And it was gradual at first, I wouldn't eat large bites and now I think about every bite and so I eat very very small bites.
If only three days ago what did you mean by a lot of weight loss? Any problems with muscle weakness elsewhere or vision or balance problems?
A little background the weight loss started about 3 weeks ago. I got a stomach flu and stopped eating as much as before, probably had to do with the panic attacks and chest pain. I went to ER and cardiologist and the verdict on chest pain was acid reflux. I waa 215 3 weeks ago and im around 189 today. So the weight loss was not due to throat but not sure if the throat problem is related to it. I have been weak lately and noticed my body being sore. No vision problems or balance problems
OK. Cancer, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, Zenker's diverticulum of the esophagus, achalasia--some of the things that might come to causing your type of symptoms--don't just suddenly announce themselves like this--suddenly one day out of the blue. While I agree with the endoscopy just to look at things, it's more likely that this is an anxiety condition and not a physical one.
Is this a common symptom for anxiety? Like I said I've had anxiety for at least 5 yrs and I haven't had this symptom before. Nervous,sweaty hands tingling feeling,loss of concentration,and rapid heartbeat are usually what I deal with.my dr prescribed lorazepam. 5mg to take as needed, but I never take them. I appreciate your help on this.
Well, certainly reflux can eventually cause a swallowing problem, but I'm going on the fact that you said that it's down to resorting to fluids and pureed foods--that would either indicate a serious physical problem or the anxiety part. Here's a link for you http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-globus-hystericus.htm
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)