Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am looking for a treatment for a rash on my hands & I am

Customer Question
Hello, I am looking for...
Hello, I am looking for a treatment for a rash on my hands & I am breastfeeding so want a natural solution which won't harm my 3 month old baby.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
2/20/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
First can you describe the rash and how long you've had it?
Hi Dr. Chip,
I've had the rash for about 10 months, started while I was pregnant. It is over my knuckles and fingers, usually dry around the knuckles but small red sores between & along the fingers.
Thanks,
I take it the hydrocortisone and Lanolin didn't help? Has a doctor looked at it?
They both help to a point but do not get rid of it completely. Dr. hasn't looked at it.
OK--there are a few things to try that won't be a problem with your baby. My first choice would be calendula cream. Then there's oatmeal baths, chamomile and witch hazel oils, tea tree oil, and olive oil. If those aren't helpful, it would be best to have a doctor look at this and prescribe either an appropriate cortisone cream or perhaps an antifungal cream in case this isn't eczema and more of a fungal condition.
I have actually briefly tried Calendula cream as I use it for nappy rash, didn't seems to help, how would you that it if fungal?
The sores and the fact that the calenula and the cortisone creams didn't completely help. It could be an inflammatory eczema but it sounds more fungal. In that case, over the counter Lamisil cream may help.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Is there a natural way I can treat it, rather than a pharmaceutical?
A papaya or mustard seed plaster may do the trick.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)