Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My Glucose readings are all over the map. I suspect it may

My Glucose readings are all over the map. I suspect it may be me in the way I do the test. What should the normal variations in my numbers be due to meter accuracy. My Doc suggested I keep it in the 100 to 120 range, and be concerned when it exceeded the 130 range. (all fasting numbers) I do not have confidence in the meter yet. The meter is rated at +/- 20%.
I called the manufacturer and they told me the readings should be very close if I take them within 20 minutes. They even suggested I test twice from the same drop of blood.
What I consider excessive is 114 & 139 taken 2 minutes apart, same finger. If I accept the 114, then it is great; if I accept the 139, then it is way above my upper limit. Testing one minute apart from the same drop gives 132 & 114. Testing in five minutes from another drop of blood gives 130 & 163. 5 minutes later, I test twice from the same finger and get 118 & 166. Within a half hour, my numbers have from 114 to 166.
I have been to a class where the instructor stated a food may act different with you, so test to see what it does for you. I can accept that if I have confidence with the meter, but the meter consistency/repeatability seems to far exceed what I am testing for.
Should I expect such a wide range of numbers and am I just chasing numbers?
I suspect my technique may be lacking. I clean my finger with alcohol, let it dry for over a minute or 2, then poke, and if it gets blood, I insert the strip and wait for the 5 seconds and apply the blood when it states ready.
No, I do not intend to test more than once or twice a day once I have confidence with my meter. It is really a pain to test!
Any help would be appreciated.
Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

On average readings below 120 while fasting or below 180 after eating (2 hours after) are considered okay.

Dr. Singh :

That much difference in readings within a short interval of each other is not normal so I understand your concern

Dr. Singh :

I recommend that you return the machine and ask for a replacement

Dr. Singh :

as this one is providing inaccurate readings for you.

Dr. Singh :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Customer:

The factory sent me a new meter, and it is doing the same thing, that is why I suspect the problem may be me. I even got a different model on WWW and it is doing the same. The only common thing I see is me. I agree with you, the readings are not as accurate as I expect.

Dr. Singh :

From what you are describing you are checking it accurately. Clean the area well with alcohol give it a few minutes to completely dry. Draw blood and put on strip and test. If this continues to be a problem I recommend you take your meter with you to your doctors office and have them test with yours and their own to see if there is any difference in readings.

Customer:

You state to wait a few minutes after cleaning. Up to this time, I have only waited about 1 to 3 minutes. I will try again, waiting a longer time. If I still get wide variations, I will take it with me, even though another meter is also "acting up" Thanks

Dr. Singh :

You are welcome. I hope it works for you.

Dr. Singh :

Feel free to ask any follow up questions, otherwise please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards