Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Is it ok to take 20Mg of Lexapro and 150 mg of Bupropion

Customer Question

Is it ok to take 20Mg of Lexapro and 150 mg of Bupropion daily?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, there can be a risk of seizures when the two are added together, so I would discuss that risk with your doctor first.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.

As such there is no problem in this combination and we frequently use this combination in our clinical practice. Most patients respond very well.

Bupropion can not only augment the antidepressant effect of Lexapro but can even reverse some of the side effects caused by Lexapro.

But please note that Bupropion is an activating antidepressant and can't help you in sleeping, in fact it may cause insomnia if taken in night. For sleep related problems, ask your doctor to prescribe a sedating antidepressant such as Mirtazapine to be taken at night instead of Bupropion.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with this answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I didn't say the two medications wouldn't be beneficial to you--just make sure your doctor tells you about what to look for as regards ***** ***** of an imminent seizure.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
In my view, Mirtazapine would be a better option for you considering your sleep related problems but if your doctor still insist upon taking Bupropion you should discuss with him about taking it during the day time only to avoid sleeping difficulty at night.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with this answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics