Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

What is the purpose of plasma, red blood cells, and

What is the purpose of plasma, red blood cells, and platelets. Needs to be 300 words.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Any particular format and how detailed does the information need to be?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

APA format. Pretty detailed but needs to be easy to understand.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--how soon do you need it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well i'm central time so i need it by 12:00am.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--in that case I assume you know the APA format since I would only have time to give you the discussion and you'd have to fill in the abstract and other parts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can put it in apa format if you can answer those question and have it 300 or more words. Thanks...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--don't post here again until after I give you my answer--it'll take about half an hour.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--here goes but I suggest you write this in mainly your own words.
Three of the components of the body's intravascular space are plasma, red blood cells, and platelets. The plasma is the clear yellow fluid within blood vessels that makes up about 55% of the total volume and it contains, among other components, electrolytes and proteins and transports these and the blood cell components to the rest of the body's organs, tissues, and cells. It also maintains the osmotic homeostasis of the intra and extravascular fluid. The red blood cells have no nuclei and their chief function is to absorb oxygen from the lungs, attach it to hemoglobin molecules, and transport that oxygen to the cells of the body for metabolism. The red cells also carry carbon dioxide from cellular metabolism to the lungs for exhalation. Platelets are cellular like particles whose function is to adhere to tears in the endothelium of the blood vessels to allow them to heal and to congregate at areas of trauma such as cuts in the skin to begin the coagulation process that stops hemorrhage and allows clot formation. Platelets are fundamental to coronary artery occlusion since they adhere to the surface of ruptured cholesterol plaques and activate the coagulation cascade that produces clots that occlude the coronary artery and causes a myocardial infarction--a heart attack.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Was there anything I needed to add?