Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have had some sleeping issues associated with anxiety for

Customer Question
the last few months now...
I have had some sleeping issues associated with anxiety for the last few months now. I'm on Effexor, Seroquel and 5mg valium at night. Some nights I sleep great but others, like last night I can't fall asleep and find myself getting up at 1am to take another 5mg valium to fall asleep. I don't want to increase my meds because I want to start getting my sleep back naturally. I eat healthy and run usually around 5-6pm every night. I try to lay down around 9:30pm and get up at 6:30pm. I'm not really exhausted by the time I lay down and usually toss and turn and then get frustrated which then keeps me up. I am wondering what I should do so that when I lay down I fall right asleep. It does help me to know that the valium is there if I need it. Am I working out too late? Going to bed too early?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
2/1/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Was the Seroquel prescribed just for insomnia or is the Valium for that?
The Seroquel is temporary and prescribed for insomnia and anxiety. The valium more for calming down for bed. The Seroquel does not make me tired at all though, but the doc says it's supposed to also help with the anxiety.
How often do you have the sleepless nights?
They come and go. But I often struggle with falling asleep. And when I do I'm in a light sleep for awhile and wake easily.
are you asking for techniques to help you sleep or nonprescription remedies, or both?

Both. I don't want to change my medication right now because I don't want to become dependent on sleep meds. I want to try other things. I would rather know if I'm stimulating myself too much at night by working out or going to bed too early. I'm relaxed when I go to bed just not exhausted enough to fall asleep right away. Then I toss and turn and start to get frustrated which leads to anxiousness. Then the next day I wonder if I'll sleep good that night.

When do you work out and what do you do exactly? So you go to bed without being especially sleepy?
I work out between 5-6 and run about 2 miles. I try to lay down around 9:30pm when I'm a little tired but not especially tired. When I get up to go to bed I usually lay there trying to fall asleep. I wake up around 6am.
When I do go to bed and don't fall asleep right away I take some deep breaths and try to focus on my room (my fan and bed) instead of having my mind run.
OK--so on the nights this is not a problem you have the same schedule and yet you fall asleep fairly quickly?
No, I pretty much always have problems falling asleep.

And I really don't feel like the 100mg Seroquel XR is helping me sleep at all. It doesn't make me tired.

OK--just one last question--you haven't tried anything natural for sleep or any sleeping techniques per se? Have you tried not taking the Seroquel?
No nothing natural for sleep. I have tried visualization, meditation, blah blah in bed and it doesn't work. No, I haven't tried stopping the Seroquel. Is that what you would suggest? Would there be withdrawal from the 100mg if I just stopped?
I wouldn't suggest just stopping it--more like alternating nights that you take it (but not without your doctor's approval). Valerian, melatonin may help. A great way to work on this is to see a hypnotist for learning self hypnotism.

Do you think going down to 50mg Seroquel XR and 5mg valium would be ok? Does the Seroquel even help with sleep, what does it do?? What about staying up or exercising earlier? Am I going to bed too early? Can I take Melatonin with the other meds?

I think the reduction would be fine and if the Seroquel really hasn't helped it may actually be hindering. No problem with working out at least two hours before retiring. Don't go to bed until you truly are sleepy. Melatonin is fine with the other meds. Seroquel is really for depression and thought disturbances and only used off label for insomnia.
What could it be hindering? I feel like the valium is the thing that puts me to sleep not the Seroquel. I haven't noticed any differences taking it. How much melatonin should I take? What's valerium, how is it different than melatonin?
The Seroquel may actually be adding to the insomnia problem as an adverse side effect. Here's a link about melatonin and valerian http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/natural-good-sleep-tips-on-melatonin-valerian
Seroquel can actually cause insomnia? Should I stop the 100mg or go down to 50mg? Will it matter? I've been on it for about a month.
It can in some patients. I would alternate nights for now with the 100 mg but you really should check with your doctor before altering any medication dosing.
don't take it tonight, then take tomorrow? Will there be withdrawal effects taking 100 to nothing?? I will call my doctor but would it be better to just go down to 50?
I personally would tell you to try one night without it, but check with your doctor.
I put a call in to my doctor. Would the Seroquel XR help with my anxiety? In terms of sleep, if I take 10mg of valium will that eventually wear off? I just feel like I can't get in to a normal sleeping pattern again.
Seroquel is more specific for anxiety. Sleeping medications like Valium can become habit forming.
what would you recommend in my position? I suffer from anxiety and having problems sleeping. I'm on 75mg Effexor, 100mg Seroquel and 5mg valium at night. What do I do to fix this? To lower my anxiety and help me sleep normal?
Does your present medication regimen help with your anxiety?

I still get hot flashes but I'm trying to work through them with counseling. They are much better when I'm sleeping good. They get worse when I don't get good sleep. I have good and bad days. I can deal with the hot flashes throughout the day, I just want to sleep.

OK--your doctor could consider adding either Buspar or Wellbutrin at night both for the insomnia and the anxiety.
I did Buspar once at a really low dosage and it didn't seem to help much with anxiety. But maybe I'll ask him about a higher dosage or wellbutrin. What dose would you recommend? Will these help me sleep? Is this better than valium and seroquel?
I'd start you at 150 mg at night. Better than Valium as in not habit forming. Better than Seroquel as in I think it may be part of the problem.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
What about trazodone?
If combined with Effexor there'd be a risk of serotonin syndrome.
Could all of this sleeping medicine be making things worse?? Do I just need to up my antidepressant??
Good question. Might make sense to stop trying to treat the insomnia itself and just increase the Effexor.
That's it. I think we've been trying to fix the insomnia the whe time and it hasn't been working so maybe young he Effexor will help calm my anxiety/depression and help me during the day and sleep.
Let me know how it goes.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)