Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I thought i was the only one who had this until i went to

Google and found many there...
I thought i was the only one who had this until i went to Google and found many there with the same thing. I got sick on the 8th and on the 9th I was not responding at all. My family called Lifeline and they sent a nurse to me and she said i had to call a doctor immediately. I didn't recognize anyone but my husband. We went to the ER at a large hospital an hour away. I do not remember anything that happened for the next 4 days. They checked me for everything. My brain wave test instead of spikes was a gentle roll. They tested me for everything they could. I couldn't do a MRI because i have a jerking illness and cannot remain still for a minute. I began vomiting the first day and all the next day. It was a neon green and I did hear a nurse say it looked like gallbladder. They checked that and it was fine. I had diarrhea for an entire day, then it stopped. To me the most distressing was that i could not remember anything. They tested me for a stroke and i passed all that. When they began to ask me questions i would answer with the last thing i said. They asked my name and I told them and then used that answer for all the rest. When they asked my husbands name i told them but that's also the answer I gave as to the date: Bobby, a set of keys: Bobby, a pen: Bobby. and so forth. I finally awoke on the fourth day and my mind was clear except for the date. I did not know where i was, the speech therapist told me i had seen her three days in a row and i did not remember her at all. It was terrifying. 5 doctors said they did not know what was wrong with me but i seemed to be over it so they were going to send me home with constant supervision for a month. Please tell me what this is and why did i lose 4 full days and nights of my life with no memory at all. No matter how hard i try i can't remember anything of those days and nights.
Already Tried:
Nothing, they wanted to do a MRI but i couldn't stay still long enough to do it. They tried 3 and a half times saying (i was told) that they COULD get me sedated but it was not possible. I also have a pain pump but there was no problem with that. Not a drug overdose because we counted all of them when i got home. The jerking of my body which ive had for several years seems to be gone now from the sedation they tried in the MRI. That's a blessing. I called my pharmacist and had him look over my list of drugs and he said there was no problem with them. That at my age (! ) I was expected to take that many drugs and there was no counteraction with them.
I evidently misspoke when i told you green stool. it was green vomit. it just poured out of me. my husband told me a had an excessive amount of stool several times before we left for the hospital. After that it was well over a week before i had any diarrhea or even normal stool. But then i had nothing to eat for over 5 days. I'm not concerned about the stool but i am about the vomiting. as i said one nurse said it looked like gallbladder. it was a neon green. That lasted 2 days. They said i was very dehydrated. The thing that worries me is the memory loss for 51/2 days. The memory from the hospital did not come back. I evidently talked to many nurses, doctors, therapists and i do not remember any of them until suddenly my memory came back. But it was from before and after the days when i could remember nothing. Do you know what this is and what could have caused it?
2/1/2012
dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor (MD)
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Reading your question, just a moment.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I highly suggest getting the MRI. I'm a doctor in radiology and an MRI would best show you yes or now if you did have a stroke/brain injury of some sort.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you can't sit for an MRI perhaps you can find one of the "OPEN MRI" machines that are usually in most regions of the country

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Otherwise, having a repeat CT scan of your brain this far out from the initial incident would also provide clues to whether or not it was a stroke.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

My primary concern would be a stroke or transient ischemic attack.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

A seizure is highly unlikely as due to the length of your symptoms.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That is my strong recommendation.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you're satisfied with our discussion please click "accept" otherwise i'm here for further discussion

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Any more question?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Again, if you're satisfied with my answer, please click "accept". Thank you and best of luck, please follow up with either an MRI (best option) or a repeat CT scan (2nd best option but still would provide good info

Customer:

I do accept your answer. It is closer to what i think than anyone else. I do need another MRI but i was jerking so hard they couldn't do it even with sedation. I was so calm after that but they had given up on me. The only clear symptom was the memory loss and it was total for the 5 days and i still do not remember what happened until i just suddenly woke up. I'm concerned about a stroke only because of my age. No after effects at all or could be the TIA. It's my memory loss that terrifies me. I am very satisfied with your answer above all others. thank you. Cynthia

dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor (MD)
I am still deeply worried about the 6 days that i lost my memory. It has not come back so I don't expect it to. I am not jerking around as i was (thank God) so I think I can have a MRI. Is it possible to put a thin blanket on the sheet of steel they put you on? My back surgery left me with too much pain to lay like that for over an hour. My PRN is who i go to for everything. Can she order that for me? I am going to another surgeon to operate on my hernia. Wouldn't he benefit with a MRI? I had to change doctors because I don't think the first one really wanted to do the surgery since it seems intensive. So if he doesn't want to i surely do not want him to do it.
dansheibley
dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor (MD)