Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been testing positive for very high nitraits for a

little over a month now,,she...
I have been testing positive for very high nitraits for a little over a month now,,she has me on cipro and is setting me up to c a gynocologist,,Im not having no pain or burning anywhere n cant figure out why i cant get rid of it and all i drink is water so why is it when im on meds my urine is clear but when im off its real dark and smells bad?Should I be worried about maybe my kidneys shutting down?
2/1/2012
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The nitrite test on a urinalysis is due toa bacterial breakdown product....

Customer:

hey...im scared :(

Anthony Bray MD :

Not all infections cause this to be positive but when it is positive it is a sign of infection....

Anthony Bray MD :

The urine should be cultured to identify the bacteria and the resistence pattern since you have tried several rounds of antibiotic.

Customer:

I cant get rid of it n I have always drank pop and quit a yr ago and never had infection n now i quit and drinjk water n now this?

Anthony Bray MD :

The right antibiotic should help you to get rid of it. Sometimes women are subject to recurrent infections.

Customer:

can it spread to mu kidneys and shut down my kidneys and kill me? And if so whats the chances of this?

Anthony Bray MD :

Vitamin C 500mg twice a day helps to make the urine less favorable for infection.

Customer:

i have no burning,tingling or n e thing,,,just wanted to be checked and found this

Anthony Bray MD :

It can spread to the kidneys potentially. There are horror stories >yes but you should be able to get this problem under control medically.

Anthony Bray MD :

A daily preventive antibiotic such as macrobid once a day is used in some cases...

Customer:

she has me on cipro

Anthony Bray MD :

That is a strong antibiotic and would cover the majority of infections.

Customer:

im scared its gonna kill me lol

Anthony Bray MD :

It should not go to this extreme! Try to stay calm!!

Customer:

can this be sexually transmitted to me,,,cause he cant have kids and so of course were not protected..and he was taking all kinds of vitamins and some kind of testrome booster for some reason...and when i got with him i have this

Customer:

I just feel its him cause i have never had problems before

Anthony Bray MD :

It is not an STD BUT having sex can increase the chance of bacteria creeping up the urethra into the bladder and causing an infection.

Customer:

ok now i wanna know...im very very bad on salt can this be a reason to?

Anthony Bray MD :

It may help to talk with your doctor about trying a preventive antibiotic within 24 hours of sex... this can help reduce recurrence.

Anthony Bray MD :

No, not salt.

Customer:

i kicked him out...solved that problem hahahaha

Customer:

so dont eat salt?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well you might find someone else so FYI....

Anthony Bray MD :

Salt does not cause this problem but too much may raise your blood pressure....

Customer:

my blood pressure is always real low

Anthony Bray MD :

Well on the low side tends to be good....

Customer:

:)

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have other questions.

Customer:

so what can i wexpect from the first visit to the gynocolgist?

Customer:

im scared n dont want a man checking me

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button when our interaction has completed.

Customer:

she said she is gonna send my urine off for a culture????

Customer:

ok i will

Anthony Bray MD :

I would think only a routine exam and PAP and cultures of the cervix as well as urinalysis and possibly a urine culture if this is still positive....

Customer:

on my first visit? :(

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes that determines which bacteria is the culprit and which antibiotics are going to be successful against it.

Anthony Bray MD :

It depends on what you want.

Customer:

so im not like gonna die right? no kidney failure

Anthony Bray MD :

No that would not be the case at all here.

Customer:

THANK GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH

Customer:

:)

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Customer:

At least I can sleep better now,,,but I dont wanna be on meds for 6 months

Anthony Bray MD :

You may not need more than 7 to 10 days of the antibiotic. The question also is how much problem you have with recurrences...

Customer:

this is my 3rd time being on these meds in 2 months

Customer:

and she has me on them 2 wks at a time

Anthony Bray MD :

I see

Anthony Bray MD :

It may be that this round more completely clears it up.

Customer:

and if it dont?

Anthony Bray MD :

The vitamin C OR cranberry juice is also helpful as prevention.

Customer:

i live in cranberry juice always have it dont help me at all

Anthony Bray MD :

There are the results of the culture coming back to check for resistant infection in which case a different antibiotic could be used.

Customer:

i went throu 2 bottles of 64 oz a day

Anthony Bray MD :

Wow!

Customer:

I like it :) or grew to like it

Anthony Bray MD :

That is a lot!

Customer:

yeah i know

Customer:

is cipro stronger then bactrim?

Anthony Bray MD :

The antibiotic within 24 hours of intercourse (if you are sexually active) may help to prevent recurrences.

Anthony Bray MD :

Usually it is, Yes

Customer:

no im good...DONT WANT IT

Customer:

she said she cant understand why im not doubled up in pain....why would she say that?

Anthony Bray MD :

OK, OK, I'm just saying FYI...

Anthony Bray MD :

Not a very positive thing to say, IDK....

Customer:

hummmm

Anthony Bray MD :

Did you have any fever or back pain?

Customer:

thats strange...she said it was so high that i should be in pain

Customer:

no..no pain or fever

Anthony Bray MD :

Just the nitrites? Or other parts too such as the white cells?

Customer:

she never said nothing but i had alot of white cells and thats it

Anthony Bray MD :

Fever, pain in the back/flank or nausea are signs to watch for kidney involvement. Majority of UTIs are just bladder.

Customer:

i have a little pain in the lower part of my back to the sides but right now i cant say its this cause i start my period in 4 days so im not sure what is causing that right now

Anthony Bray MD :

I see.

Customer:

but when i told her that she scared me and started telling me about my kidneys failling

Anthony Bray MD :

I don't think you need to worry about such a dire outcome. This is a very common and treatable problem.

Customer:

u r not scaring me like she did

Anthony Bray MD :

She may have been trying to scare you a bit to make sure that you took your antibiotic and kept follow up.

Customer:

i mean if i am gonna have kidney failure i dont want it sugar coated but i dont want it being told to me if i dont have it either

Customer:

she knows i take all my meds always but she scares people alot

Anthony Bray MD :

Well you should not expect kidney failure based on anything that you have shared with me.

Customer:

i have 3 kids i cant live scared everyday

Anthony Bray MD :

No and you shouldn't!

Customer:

Thank you so much cause I set my 15 yr old my 11 yr old and my 6 yr old down and told them what she said cause she told me i should

Anthony Bray MD :

That sounds extreme.....

Customer:

n my daughter threatened to kill her self if something happened to me n i broke down crying

Anthony Bray MD :

I'm sorry to hear that you have gone through such a trauma with this.

Customer:

Yeah its not good

Customer:

She told me that I should and so I did what she said...sounds like I may look into a different doctor

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I hope that you get to feeling better soon and can relax soon as well.

Customer:

my kids dont need to be told this if its not a life and death thing...my 6 yr old dont understand all this when I cant

Anthony Bray MD :

You may be right on that.

Anthony Bray MD :

I don't know why she would be out to be so heavy with this....

Customer:

But Thank you so much Anthony,,,u have really been an Angel to me this evening you really have...

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome.

Anthony Bray MD :

I wish you the best!

Customer:

Thank you so very much,n I hope when you lay down that u have angels watchin over you which Im sure you do :) Cause u r me this evening :)

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you. That is very kind!

Customer:

Sending all the Angels I know your way....sleep well my friend.. <3

Anthony Bray MD :

You too.

Customer:

thank you

Anthony Bray MD :

Good night!

Customer:

good night :)

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor