Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My boyfriend has a fingernail lodged under his bottom, front

Customer Question
teeth.... It is causing a...
My boyfriend has a fingernail lodged under his bottom, front teeth.... It is causing a great deal of pain 24/7. He has had teeth removed, ct scans, x rays etc. chasing the fingernail. Who do you recommend to help him in his quest to get it out! ????
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/30/2012
Health Professional: DR MED MD, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
What kind of doctor have you been to?

Since when this is going on?
We have been to countless dentists and dr Delcano in Perth. Many radiology clinics. He has been trying to get it out for the past 8-10 years. He has had the dyes put in, x rays ct scans the lot. He wants and needs help! He had a molar taken out 24/12/10 and 2-3 weeks later a small piece of nail came out of the gum on the inside of his mouth. He wants all his teeth out and hopes the nail will Eventualy work it's way out... A last resort, finding help is hard. No one wants to take them out?
how old is your husband?

Where is pain maximum?
37.years old. Bottom front teeth and jaw. He has swollen gland in his neck on the left. He often gets sores behind his jaw near his ear. He also feels there is a deep canal running along the bottom left side of the jaw bone. He has a restricted diet of almost all liquid as food is gettin into that area and causes discomfort and sometimes infection.
when was last CT scan done? Was Dental CT scan done?

What was the report?

Is he seeing a dentist now?

Thanks
He had the last scan late last year. Results showed nothing. He doesn't want to manage pain or see any more dentists. Who could you suggest to help in this area? He thinks maybe exploratory surgery? Please help
Is there any swelling in gums?

Are his gums Receding?

Small nail bits can be missed on CT scan. Why you think there is nail bits in his gums?

Thanks
His gums are receeding, yes. He used to pick his teeth with a piece of thumbnail. He does not do it anymore. What we want to know is, what type of scan, surgery...etc would we go to next? He's refusing to pay good money for no result! It's looking like losing all his teeth will be the next step
No scan are required right now,

Small nail bits can be missed on imaging studies.

His symptoms i.e Receding gums and pain can be due to periodontal disease (gum disease) which is a chronic, low grade infection of the gums and bone surrounding the teeth. Impacted nail bits can cause chronic irritation and pain.

Bacterial plaque which starts in the small spaces between your teeth and gums. As the disease progresses, it slowly dissolves the bone around your teeth and as it shrinks away, the gums follow.

You need to go to a dentist that specializes in this disease, namely a Periodontist.

Treatment options are dental cleaning and root debridement.

Surgery to treat receding gums is also done.

You should see a periodontist now. He /she will examin and suggest wether he need surgery now or not.

Thanks
Thank you so much for your insight. Please could you find or reffer us to a reputable periodontist... Anywhere.... WA would be preferable.
where are you located?
High wycombe Perth, wa
click on this link for details about peridontics in your location.:

http://www.dentist.com.au/detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=LassoInternet&-Database=Subscribers%20Database&-KeyValue=32966

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/periodontists/perth-cbd-wa

Thanks
With proper treatment he will be fine.

Thanks for using just answer,

Regards.

If u think my advice was useful for you, please click on the ACCEPT button. POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS> is always welcome.

DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
DR MED MD
DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD