How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drknowsbest Your Own Question
drknowsbest, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1496
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
Type Your Health Question Here...
drknowsbest is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am transgendered (male-to-female) and I started taking 2

Resolved Question:

I am transgendered (male-to-female) and I started taking 2 mg of estrogen twice a day and 25 mg of spironolactone twice a day about a week and a half ago. I feel much calmer and happier however in the past 4 days I've noticed a dull ache in my left elbow and in my left heel. Its an almost unnoticeable ache however it is worrisome. I've been moving for the past two days and I'm a mechanic so my job involves me being on my feet and lifting all day are these muscle aches caused by the change in potassium? (I've cut way down on my potassium intake.) Also will that mixture cause a false positive on a standard probation drug test? I would rather not discuss being transgendered with my P.O.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.
drknowsbest : The spironolactone should be fine for the drug testing. Estrogen no problems possible. Continue low potassium diet. In most people this low dose spironolactone will not knee ease potassium enough that healthy kidneys can't adjust.
drknowsbest : Are u there
drknowsbest : Okay well it's unlikely that the pain u feel is muscular. In the elbow it's more likely tendon or joint related. Generalized muscle cramps are more common with elevated potassium
drknowsbest : If it worsens or continues its an easy blood level to check. In the meantime always eat low potassium diet and stay well hydrated.
Customer: I'm getting my blood drawn tomorrow just to be safe. And I am currently under the supervision of a councilor. However I don't know who to talk to in the more clinical aspect of things if you could recomend anyone in Dona Ana county it would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!
drknowsbest and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.
I see you are offline any further questions let me know otherwise congrats and please press accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well if there's any way to find a doctor to check my blood levels and work with me that would bee great, otherwise thank you for your help. I don't like taking meds from a friend and would much rather have a legitimate prescription. This past week has been the first week in my life that wasn't consumed by rage and despair, and I would like a local doctors help to make sure I don't hurt myself. I would ask my father for help (He's a general practioner,) but I think he might kill me if he found out I'm working on becoming a woman. Again thank you so much!