DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

My friend is addicted to Tranqipam, he has been taking it for

My friend is addicted to Tranqipam, he has been taking it for about five years now. He is suppose to take two tablets, 1 mg each, per day, but it seems he's taking at least fifteen tablets per day...I really want to help him, but I don't know what to do. He has seen a psychologist who referred him to a psychiatrist, but he did not go on the day of his appointment. He says he's afraid that the doctor will take his pills away and he will then suffer (he went for treatment before, but it was unsuccessful, the doctor just abruptly took him off Tranqipam) - my friend is also taking Cilift 20 mg (Citalopram) per day...I am so afraid that his brain will be damaged on the long run, we are planning a future together, but I don't want to sit with huge problems in the end...PLEASE help me to help him...he is 31 years old...
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

You are right, taking medications specially medication like Tranqipam.

You need to take immediate help.

He is developing or already developed addition for these medication.

You have to take him to doctor i.e psychiatrist asap.

He will decrease the dose slowly and give alternative medication and i am sure with proper care your friend will be alright.

If he is not willing you can contact any de addiction center nearby.

Thanks

PLEASE FEEL FREE IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTION OR DOUBTS REGARDING THIS ISSUE.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good day, you have not really told me anything I did not know...I know he needs the help of a psychiatrist, but to get him there...how do I convince him that THIS time the doctor won't just take him off the pills, but will gradually decrease the dosage / give alternative medication..??? What will happen to his brain and organs if he continues on the long run ?
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.
You have convince him and tell him that doctor will not take medication off immediately as it will cause withdrawal symptoms.

He will taper dose slowly.

Withdrawal symptoms can be fatal.

YOu can show him our conversation and convince him to visit doctor.

Explain him overdose can be fatal It can cause extreme drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, fainting, or coma.

Common side effects are clumsiness, dizziness, sleepiness, unsteadiness, weakness, amnesia, insomnia, agitation, disorientation, depression, headache, visual problems, nausea, abdominal discomfort, drowsiness, blurred vision, tachycardia, weakness, disinhibition etc.

He can develop amnesia (decreased or lack of recall of events during period of drug action), irrational behavior, leukopenia, both elevation and lowering of blood sugar levels.

On long term he can become addict and this will decrease his thinking and mental abilities and decrease memory.

Thanks