How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Singh Your Own Question
Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6496
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of a student that I tutor mixes the letter and number

Resolved Question:

One of a student that I tutor mixes the letter and number from time to time, she also have a hard time to understand very simple things. What do you think it could be.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I need some additional information.

Is the child learning in his first language? Any problems in writing? Any problems in speech? Is the child able to sit down for an extended period of time? Any problems in listening?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Her parents speak hebrew, but she was born and raise in Los Angeles and speak very well the language. In writing, she does a lot of spelling mistakes and inverses a lot of time the letter, for example instead of writing their, she will write thier. She also have a hard time to read long words. She is able to sit with me during the two hours because I am able to keep her motivation up, but when I am not with her, she is not really able. Also, sometimes, she is able to understand a concept, and is able to apply it, and the next day, its like if we never spoke about that. She also inverses the numbers sometimes.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Inversing of the numbers/letters is called dyslexia.
Often times children with learning disorders also have an underlying attention deficit disorder.
I recommend that you talk to her parents about this and have her tested for this. A school psychologist can start the process and refer to others as needed.

Here is a link with information about dyslexia

If you have any further questions, please ask. If not, please click accept.
Dr. Singh and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you