How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32187
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can cause throbbing pain in lower right side (below the

Customer Question

What can cause throbbing pain in lower right side (below the rib cage and around to lower back)? It's a recurring pain in same area that feels like menstrual cramps. Area stays tender after throbbing lessens.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

This could be your ovaries, this could be an urinary tract problem, this could be your appendix or even your gallbladder.

So, I would recommend a pelvic and abdominal exam and based on what is found a possible ultrasound of either the pelvis or the abdomen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've been to two doctors and had IV test with dye injected. They did not find any problems with any of those. There is no fever or nausea with this pain.

The doctors I have seen say the pain is not localized in an area consistent with an organ. The only opinion they could give me is musco-skeletal pain.... It does not feel like any muscle pull I've ever had! I don't have to move for it to hurt and it's a hot throbbing pain.

After I eat it's worse.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

This could be IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome - and you might want to just increase the fiber in your diet too such as using Benefiber, Metamucil or Citrucel, and ALSO using over the counter medication such as Prilosec and Pepcid.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--a different approach may be to look at your spine and ribs with x-rays and MRI's since this may be a disk problem or a pinched intercostal nerve from a posterior rib dislocation.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32187
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Dr. Chip and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you