Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Do high blood pressure medications interfere with the

Do high blood pressure medications interfere with the effectiveness of Anesthetic?
Also I am having my gallbladder removed in two weeks, I
am very concerned about being put under? What are the chances of waking up during surgery? It does happen right?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 5 years ago.
Most Blood pressure medicines do not interfere with the effectiveness of anesthetic used.
There are different types of anesthesia. In one type called 'twilight anesthesia', the anesthesia used is very mild and the person may be aware of what is happening.
But in a gallbladder surgery, full anesthesia is used and you will not wake up during the procedure. I have not seen it happen in my 20 years of experience.
I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your response but what about all these stories about Anesthesia awareness?
Also how long does gallbladder key hole surgery take?
The stories about anesthesia awareness is probably about twilight anesthesia. In a complete anesthesia , a patient is not aware of the procedure. It is only at the end when the anesthesia is made lighter that he/she becomes aware - but by that time the main operation is usually over.
A gallbladder keyhole surgery takes about an hour an a half.
I hope this helps.