DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I am experiencing pain in my shins (mainly my right leg). It

Customer Question

I am experiencing pain in my shins (mainly my right leg). It feels like pins and needles and is a sharp shooting pain that lasts a few seconds at a time. I don't exercise. I am currently on Keppra for seizures but the pain started right before I got on the med. At the time it started I was on Depakote. The pain comes and goes. I won't experience it for days at a time, but then out of no where it comes back. Any opinions on what it could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
what is your height and weight
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
5'9" 119lbs
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
Any previous injuries
marathon running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my last seizure was July 24th 2011. It happened while I was asleep so I have no idea as to how long it lasted or if I had more than 1 seizure at that time. Since then I have had ongoing neck and shoulder pain. I started experiencing pain in the back of my head in Sept and had tests run on it. They said I sprained my neck during the seizure. Is the leg pain a result of nerve damage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't run. I don't exercise at all. I experience too much fatigue to do anything it seems.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
There could be strain or damage in the lower spine that sends this type of pain to the leg periodically, and you should see a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.
PM&R.
This is an MD who will understand the physical results of seizures.
And will give you exercises to fix any problem in the lower spine.
Maybe some physical therapy as well.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I wanted to choose the route of seeing a massage therapist, would you say that is a safe decision?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have also since July lost 20 lbs (very unusual for me) I have had no luck gaining it back even when I eat and eat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would be your opinion on me seeing a Chiropractor as well?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
it should be safe but not effective.
Chiropractors are OK but not as comprehensive.
With the weight loss you need your thyroid checked.
Thyroid imbalance sometimes can cause peripheral nerve pain.

You need to have a medical doctor look you over completely.

good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think that the seizures I have could ever be something I could possibly grow out of?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
I don't know.
But once your are seizure free for a year, your neurologist should repeat an EEG, and see.
At some point of time with no seizures and a clear EEG it might be feasible to try it off medications.
good luck