CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Iam coughing up phlem with biood, the blood is not fresh

I'am coughing up phlem with biood, the blood is not fresh
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I am sure this is alarming..... but it's important to know that it's not always due to a very serious reason. Blood in your sputum can be due to infection, irritation, pneumonia or even lung cancer. What testing has been done to try to isolate the cause?

Customer:

none, I have been coughing hard for about 2 weeks

CamilleRN :

Sometimes forceful and/or repetitive coughing can cause irritation which will cause tiny blood vessels to rupture, causing blood to appear in the sputum.

CamilleRN :

Does it seem to be getting better?

Customer:

Yes I'am not coughing as much, nor do I feel as much lung conjestion

CamilleRN :

That is very good. What will help expedite the process is making sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water per day and also... if you are not taking any cough preparation that contains Guaifenesin, then you may want to take it... this is the active ingredient found in Robitussin PLAIN and Mucinex. What it does is it thins the secretions and makes it much easier to cough up the mucus.