Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I have a troubling condition that I just cannot fathom out.

Hi, I have a troubling condition that I just cannot fathom out. In January this year I think I suffered a virus which has caused problems in my body eversince ie for the last 11 months. Whilst a number of symptoms have reduced in intensity the residual symptoms have levelled out and are just not getting better. Remaining symptoms are:-
the inability to run or swim as well as I used to. When running, although I can still maintain the overall distance of a run, it is really hard to power my legs along. It is as if my thigh muscles are being held in a vice like grip and simply have no power. It also takes me much longer to recover from a run. When I try and raise myself up out of a bath my arm muscles go into uncontrollable shakes. When I swim, my arms feel as if they have been squeezing a tennis ball for a long time. In addition I get muscular pains in my abdomen and over my chest and nipples..this mainly happends towards the end of a week and at the weekend when I am de-stressing after a busy week. All of this is so odd. I am 45, slim, non-smoker and supposedly fi although all these symptoms make me think otherwise. I have been checked for stomach ulcers - all clear, hernia - all clear, Celiac's disease - all clear, Thyroid - all clear, food allergy - all clear, liver - ok although slightly raised LFT, physio check of power in my muscles - all clear - biomechanically fit and strong, neurological checks of my neural pathways all ok. Currently on amitriptyline 25mg per day which has helped with stomach and chest pains but I am at a loss to understand what is happening with my legs and now my arms during exercise. Any ideas??
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.
One thing you have not mentioned being checked is your testosterone levels. Low testosterone levels can cause muscular weakness. Go to this web page for more information about this:
http://men.webmd.com/features/low-testosterone-explained-how-do-you-know-when-levels-are-too-low
It would be worth checking, if this has not already been done.