Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I had my belly button pierced for about 11 years. I took it

Customer Question

I had my belly button pierced for about 11 years. I took it out about 2 years ago because it kept getting infected. My question is why is my belly button itchy and crusty? I have been using rubbing alcohol on it and now it's been starting to bleed when I clean it. What is happening? What do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you still have a hole?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi. First off, stop with the alcohol because that probably is causing the bleeding. If there's itching and crusting you may have either an eczema condition or perhaps an fungal infection. I suggest using calendula cream for this and if it continues to be a problem you can switch to Lamisil. If after both the problem is still there, you'll need to see a doctor for a prescription to take care of this.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is calendula cream where can I get it? How did I get a fungus in my belly button?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Calendula cream is a natural emollient that you can get at a health foods store. Alternatively you can use aloe vera. If it's a fungus, just like ringworm you can get it for no particular reason.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I use aloe vera gel that is for sun burns? What if it's not a fungus? It seems to be producing a cleAR liquid. It does not have an odor and it's burning, now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
It's burning because you used alcohol on it. If not a fungus, then it's eczema like I said above. Aloe vera get is fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Welcome