Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Type your question here

Type your question here
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--sorry for the delay in responding to your question. Are you only seeing a NP for this and not a psychiatrist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just the NP
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. How can I help you with this problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I should make an appointment with psychiatrist, Just want symtoms to stop, the typical chest pain rapid heart beat, I know I won't die from this but it is very uncomfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I understand. Please tell me all you can about one of these episodes and how long it lasts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

starts first thing in the morning and as long as I stay busy I can tolerate it, but at night It gets worse so I don't sleep well. then it's a new day. I thought increasing Zoloft from 150 to 200 would help but it doesn't take the edge off anymore.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
what are the symptoms and is this a daily occurrence?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

feels a little like a knot high up in my chest, rapid heart beat, some hot flashes.

and yes, it's everyday.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Of course, it's important to evaluate this to make sure there isn't a physical condition causing it like hyperthyroidism, a cardiac condition, or rare causes like pheochromocytoma--an adrenal tumor that secrets adrenalin. That said, I strongly suggest you see a psychiatrist for evaluation, counseling, and medication. While Xanax can help, there are other medications like Lexapro, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and beta blockers that can also be used for this.