Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

next day Wednesday morning, I had a terrible sore right thigh

Customer Question

so Tuesday I went out bowling. The next day Wednesday morning, I had a terrible sore right thigh. It hurt if I bent it or moved it in any direction. It has gotten better over the last few days. But today I woke up and started having anxiety about a blood clot. There is no swelling, no redness, it DID hurt when I touched the muscle that runs down the front of my leg, but now it doesnt. It only really hurts when I grab my foot from behind, and stretch it. In the past ive had probably, 5-7 negative ultrasounds on my both my legs. Ive been super anxious about this all day worrying about a clot. Now im having tight throat feeling, and some heart palpitations, along with some dizziness, where I get lightheaded, or the room moves. Should I be worried about something? Ive had an EKG and leg ultrasound in October, and it was fine. Am I just over working myself?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Why so many previous ultrasounds? Where exactly is the pain right now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
because i had pain in my legs. i have a blood clot phobia. the pain.is gone now. just now im dizzy with pressure in my forhead and feeling anxious about a clot
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--I just realized you and I have worked with one another before. If you're worried about a pulmonary embolus, do you know the usual symptoms for that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shortness of breath i know. but should i be worried about one?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't think so for two reasons. First, your description of the leg problem does match the symptoms of a DVT. Second, a pulmonary embolus usually causes pleuritic, inspiratory chest pain and significant shortness of breath. I won't be so bold as to tell you there's absolutely no chance you have a DVT and a PE, but seeing as how your scans have been negative in the past and you haven't been bed ridden or taken a 12 hour plane ride recently, you just aren't a risk candidate for that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the only thing im having is a tight throat that is making it hard to breathe but not where i cant get air. just feels like im being choked. is that anxiety? ive had it before
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
That definitely sounds like anxiety. A PE causes chest pain and perhaps a cough, but no symptoms related to the throat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dr chip. im hoping u could help and i will pay you on here for your answer
yesterday i was driving hime from work and got very anxious. I started worrying about passing out. When I.got my son from daycare, when.I walked into get him I felt very lightheaded and was terrified of passing out. When we finally got home I also got this weird feeling like my ears became clogged and I couldnt hear anything. It passed. But now im freaked out about actually passing out. I have been diagnosed with a sinus infection since november that keepa coming back. could thia be sinus related? does a sinus infection make you light headed. im also having major pressure in sinus areas along with fluttery feelings in my left ear. Im.freaked out. Ive never passed out before. not even when i was pregnant or anything. any ideas? i know its not my heart cause i had an ultrasound on it. and ive had a ct scan of my head... what could thia be??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--how does this differ from your supposed anxiety attacks? I need to know exactly what you mean by light headed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
usually i get like vertigo during an attack. yestrrday was like out of it and lightheaded. like i could have passed out.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
How are you feeling right now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive been a littke dizzy today. but it seems to go away if my mind is distracted.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Are your ears still clogged up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no not really. there popping. had alot of pressure in my head though.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. While I think this is related to your sinuses, I obviously can't say that for certain. Transient ischemic attacks, dropping blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmias, those all have to be considered. Let your doctor know about this and see if he wants to do a workup.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think i should worry about passing out? and woukdnt a ultrasound and ekg rule out an arrythmia and a ct scan for the tia?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they would in general, so that's why I think it's a sinus issue. It's just that your doctor needs to know about it. It doesn't sound as though you were actually having a near syncopal episode--nearly passing out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i didnt have to sit down or anytging. just lightheaded and freaking out
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I think this is probably side effects of your sinus problem coupled with your anxiety.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay. im also at my inlaws and feeling these little bursts of lightheadedness. lasts for a few secounds thwn goes away. any ideas? im anxious
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, again, what are these light bursts like?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
like feelings of woozyness and being lightheaded.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, that doesn't sound like a TIA but it could be a short cardiac arrythmia.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should i go to the ER? could it just be panic?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I can't tell you not to go to the ER but at least call your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did start a diet pill yesterday called phen375. could thatbe the issur possibly? im freaking out.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
But you're saying this began before yesterday?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no.it started yesterday night while driving home
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Then, yes, that one part could easily be a side effect of that particular medication.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just drove home and once again im very dizzy and can feel my heartbeat in my head. it feels like im on a roller coaster almost.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, phentermine is an amphetamine and acts like adrenalin with an increase in blood pressure and heart rate. It can make patients who never had an anxiety problem feel very anxious.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay so u dont think.im having a mini.stroke? or something
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Not likely--I think it's the phentermine. Don't take any more until you've talked with your doctor.