How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 64311
Experience:  Practice Director
Type Your Health Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

15 months ago I was involved in a high speed rear end collission

Resolved Question:

15 months ago I was involved in a high speed rear end collission (120km/hr), as a result I have 17 heriated discs in my back, C T & L spine. Seems the more I work out at the physiotherapists clinic the worse I get, some days I can hardly walk. The only thing that seems to help is traction but I find the benifits are very short lived. ANY suggestions that could help in recovery? Tom
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.RossiD replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom,


your question had posted in the mental health section. Did you want feedback from a psychological stand point for pain management or do you want your question placed in the medical section?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No not mental health, my question was supposedly to a physiatrist Thanks for your quick response Tom
Expert:  Dr.RossiD replied 5 years ago.
They do have psychiatrists in this section and I'd opt out of the Q so they can see it if any are online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
physiatrist, a dr who specializes in physical medicine tom
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
You are looking for a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, or physiatrist
Is this type of doc in charge of your case now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
currently under care of a family MD and physiotherapist, I have seen , MD (sport medicine) MD (naturapathic medicine), and a Dr who specializes in rehab (this guy has been sued many times and works for the insurance co.) my question is to a physical medicine Dr or Physiatrist.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Yes I an an internal medicine/integrative specialist and use PM&R docs almost exclusively for this situation.

The fact that traction works, but dissapates means you need a different form of traction.

I need to know
How many traction sessions
What type of traction?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my treatments have been 3 times per week for the past 15 months with the exception of this past July August and September. I was able to get through the summer using an NME Stimulator to reduce the pain and keep the muscles on the left side of my back from noting up, as time went on the stimulator was less effective and now I am back in treatment. most of my disc protrusions are left posterior and a few left to right posterior. I can list them off from the mri report if that will help. not sure what the name of the traction machine is, but it is ultra modern computer type I can find out the name on Monday. I am interested in your statement that I may need a different type of traction, can you explain. I should add, I am 64 years old in perfect health worked hard before the accident, haven't been able to work since, (welder manufacurer) I own my own business. Tom
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
There are newer types of traction that appear to rehydrate the discs over a period of about 20 to 30 treatments...due to a vibratory oscillation that is included with the traction.

Accu spina is one of the main machines.

I have had about a 90 to 95% success rate with patients using this with disc protrusions, even when extensive.

Combined with physical therapy is even more effective.

Combined with physical therapy and osteopathic manipulative treatment even more effective.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 64311
Experience: Practice Director
DrRussMD and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr, I will accept answer for now, but will report back on the type of traction I am receiving. thanks Tom