Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

For the past 3 years, I have been suffering from upper

Customer Question

For the past 3 years, I have been suffering from upper abdominal pain near my rib cage. The pain I would describe as severe cramp/tearing pain. Lasting around 3-15 min everyday. Usually the pain occurs after meals, and follows up with either gas, or diarrhea everyday. I have been to two doctors specialists, who both did X-rays, Ultrasounds, and EGDs. I have a small hiatal hernia according to the EGDs. I have been prescribed Nexium for 2 years, and Lorazepam for 6months. I take regularly Probiotics, and a normal one a day vitamin. They tested me for lactose intolerance, Celiacs Disease, Gallstones, Parasites, and ulcers, all of which were negative. Im not sure what else to do. If you have any advise, I would really appreciate it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Singh :

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Singh :

Cramping tearing pain, occurring after meals could be indicative of gastritis, peptic ulcers, GERD. However if you have had EGDs done this would be seen and diagnosed at that time. However the fact that you are on Nexium indicates that there was concern for GERD, gastritis or ulcers. Since you are also having diarrhea with this pain you should look into any infectious process. Since intolerance, celiac etc have been ruled out this could also be IBS

Customer:

My dad had his gallbladder taken out, so could this be symptoms of that?

Dr. Singh :

This certainly could.

Dr. Singh :

But it seems like studies have looked into this and have been negative

Dr. Singh :

The Ultrasound would be able to pick up on that

Customer:

oh ok

Dr. Singh :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

any advise?

Dr. Singh :

The other thing that you should look into is food allergies.

Dr. Singh :

These can cause the symptoms you are having

Dr. Singh :

For this seeing an allergist may be necessary to get food allergy testing done

Dr. Singh :

If you have any further questions please ask. If no further questions, please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards