CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I am 20 years old and just took my BP at home on a BP

Customer Question

i am 20 years old and just took my BP at home on a BP machine. my reading was 165/84. This is high. I am a college athlete and would like to know what there is to do that i can lower it, and how dangerous is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.

Hi
Welcome to Just Answer
This reading is definitely high. Hypertension is uncommon at your age, but yes, it can occur.

You need to have it rechecked by a doctor first.

This could be a machine error.

Ideally, the blood pressure should be checked with the person fully calm and relaxed, with BP cuff at heart level.

Do not smoke.

Eat plenty of veggies and fruits.

Low fats.

Low salt.

Daily exercise (which you already do).

If despite this it persists, then medications.

However, a single reading is not sufficient to give you a diagnosis.

Get this re-evaluated again.

Kindest Regards ***** *****

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK which will be highly appreciated.
Feel free to ask any Follow up questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
at doctors offices i am near 190/100 or even sometimes higher due to white coat hypertension. I had my brother who is a EMT take it numerous times and am usually between 140-170/70-90 which i feel are high. but im not sure of the risk factors
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
I agree with the Dr... however what were you doing prior to taking your blood pressure? It is normal for B/P to elevate with exercise and strenuous activity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
at doctors offices i am near 190/100 or even sometimes higher due to white coat hypertension. I had my brother who is a EMT take it numerous times and am usually between 140-170/70-90 which i feel are high. but im not sure of the risk factors....and this was taken after i woke up and showered this morning
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Anxiety can be a catalyst for higher blood pressure readings. Your BLood pressure readings are higher than the normal range ( Sitting, relaxed) However, are not deadly by any means. Do have your Doctor investigate the cause and if it is anxiety related, some anti anxiety medication as well as some cognitive behavioral therapy will help tremendously.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was given xanax and had echocardiograms and ekg's done which all came back normal
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
I am very glad to hear that everything came back normal.

Being acutely aware of your body and the most subtle changes, such as an increase in heart rate, can be a catalyst for anxiety...causing your body to shoot out adrenaline which can lead to some or all of these symptoms:

Chest pain , tightness or discomfort

Fear of dying

Fear of losing control

Tremors
Dizziness or feeling like you might pass out

Sweating

Chills

Hot flashes

Nausea
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face
Palpitations

Fast heart rate

increased blood pressure

Shortness of breath

Feeling like you are choking

Feeling detached or disconnected from reality
Feelings of impending doom

For example.. you bend over to pick something up…. Your heart rate goes up.. you become aware of it and become anxious …now starts the barrage of symptoms and a full blown panic attack. Your body is producing adrenaline and the symptoms keep on coming…

The single most important thing to remember is that THIS CAN NOT HARM YOU. It’s just the adrenaline ….. and it WILL pass.

The scary thing about Anxiety is that it can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause that you can pinpoint. Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause fatigue and the symptoms you are experiencing. There is something you can do right now to stop it..... initiate proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of throat tightness, panic and and shortness of breath by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatigue and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety...., every time. If it comes back do it again. Here is an excellent link to read more about anxiety:

ANXIETY

Consider taking extra hydration ( at least 8 glasses of water per day), this will help as well as de-stressing through the use of biofeedback and relaxation techniques ,

definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being.

Here is an interesting article and video:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

This article explains why incorrect breathing causes anxiety symptoms:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003071.htm

Also look for EASY CALM by John Mercer video series on youtube.. John Mercer has some excellent techniques.

I hope this information helps you. If I can help further, please let me know.