DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I have a very serious itching problem that started as a

I have a very serious itching problem that started as a minor irritation on my ankles and over a period of five years has become a major problem all the way up to the top of my head. I have been to the best dermatologist in northern Indiana and have been seen by the dermatologist at the universities of Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern but no one has found any relief for me. Who should I see next?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Is there any rash with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'd say a slight rash on my legs and scalp and a redness across my chest, waist and buttochs.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
but nothing the docs could biopsy and send to the lab?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they have done several biopsies - all negative. They have done all kinds of patch testing, TRUE test, etc. It appears to me to be something out of the expertise of determatology. I've also been to a rheumatologist. They've had me stay off all medications for 30 days. My question is who do I see next?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
This sounds like there could be a more systemic cause of the itching.
Possibilities are

Liver or kidney problems
Diabetes or thyroid problems
Iron deficiency
Polycythemia Vera [too many red cells]
Certain autoimmune diseases [sarcoidosis]
Hidden infections
Parasites
Hidden malignancies
Gallbladder problems
Allergy
Heavy metal toxicity

Among other things.
A good internist can rule these out or in with a couple of visits.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One thing I have not told you is when this itching started I had begun using Polyeth GLYC for constipation. After being on it for well over two years, I got a warning of "Contact your doctor immediately if you experience a rash". The determinologist just ignore this as just a genetic warning. What do you think of this? Answer this and will be satisfied. Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
I think if you have stopped for more than a month then this is not it.
It would be out of your system and this is no longer the consideration.
good luck again