Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am 16 weeks pregnant and had an abnormal pap smear. I have

Customer Question

I am 16 weeks pregnant and had an abnormal pap smear. I have never had an abnormal pap. my doctor wants to do a colospcopy and biopsy that may cause cramping. If there is a problem I am told that nothing can be done until the baby is born, My question is can I just wait until the baby is born to get this done?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Actually a colposcopy is recommended, but a biopsy is not recommended unless the colposcopy looks really severe such that there is cancer - and UNLIKELY there will be cancer if you have had all PAP smears that were normal previously.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My question is if nothing can be done until the baby is born, could i just wait until then to do all this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My question is since no treatment can be given until the baby is born can i just wait till then to do all this?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I would still recommend the colposcopy be done - which is JUST LOOKING at the cervix with a microscope - but do NOT have a biopsy done UNTIL after the baby is born IF one is even necessary - but usually the colpo returns as normal when a repeat is DONE after you have the baby because your body usually HEALS itself during this time.
I hope this helps, and if you have more questions, please ask, thank you