Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My daughter is now 17, since she was, and today she

Customer Question
My daughter is now 17...
My daughter is now 17, since she was young, and today she occasionally feels nauseous and her limbs feel like jelly. She is dizzy and uncomfortable. Is this just allergies or something more serious?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Hi
Welcome to Just Answer
You need to answer a few questions which will help me assist you in a better way.
Is she having fever? Cough? Runny nose? Congestion?
Did she have vomiting?
What exactly you means by "limbs feel like jelly" ?
No fever, no cough, always a runny nose (allergies) no congestion.
She feels like vomiting, but rarely does it happen, but sometimes the bile rises to the back of her throat, sometimes into her mouth a little bit.
Weakened limbs, like she has been struggling with a large weight and finally set it down. That jelly feeling you get after. Weak.
Being over weight, and having a history of bile rising up to throat, this could be gastro-esophageal reflux diasease, where the gastric contents and juice refulx back in esophagus, and then up in to thorat.
This can cause nausea and vomiting.
At the same time, always a runny nose, suggests an allergic process.
Both the problems can co-exist.
Right now, give her over the counter medicine for vomiting and nausea, such as dimenhydrinate.
Get a consultation with an allergist as well as a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and testing.
Kindest Regards ***** *****
My daughter is 5'7 and 120 lbs. Overweight is not a problem.
She has allergies that even doctors prescriptions haven't been much help.
I have had her heart checked in the past for this. Heart appears fine.
She is not anemic, but has some mild circulatory issues with cold extremities.
Hello again.
Allergic reactions can give rise to nausea.
But the point you mentioned (bile/gastric secretions rising up to the throat) is very important, and can not be ignored.
Reflux is very common problem and many people who have it are unaware of this. I think there is no harm in getting a gastro consultation done.
Regarding allergies, the best treatment is avoidance of triggers. Allergy shots (vaccines) show good results.
Right now, for her nausea, Dimenhydrinate will help.
Add flavours/sauces to her food.
Fruits will be great.
This will settle down soon.
Regards.
We did allergy shots as a child until age 10 with mixed results. Triggers appear to be more environmental, not food. Her dizziness is causing the nausea. The weakened limbs are more a concern to me.
If she is not able to hold up her arms up; or can not stand or walk with out support, or if the dizziness is significant, then take her to ER for immediate management.
We at this point can not rule out a viral infection presenting like cold flu, and at the same time causing dizziness (by involving ear as in vestibular neuronitis).
Kindest Regards.
As this has been a continuing issue since childhood, do you think it is her ears? Also why the weakened limb feeling?
Dizziness can be ear related, and ongoing allergies can predispose to infections as well. At times both can contribute simultaneously to balance problems. Weakened limb can not be explained simply on the basis of her current symptoms.
A clinician has to assess whether it is a subjective complaint or whether there is an actual neurological weakness.
So to clear any doubts, get her evaluated ASAP.
Regards.
What is a neurological weakness?
Neurological weakness means, a reduced power in any part of body such as arms or legs, due to an abnormality in the neurological pathway such as brain, neurotransmitters, nerves etc.
This always require evaluation.
If this is viral, what course of treatment would be most likely?
Mainly supportive.
Adequate hydration.
Meclizine for dizziness and vertigo, and it will help to control nausea as well.
Good nutritious diet.
Regards.
What is meclizine, perhaps like a prescription dramamine?
Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate.
Meclizine (Antivert) is used specifically for treating vertigo associated with diseases affecting the vestibular system (inner ear).
Have called dr. for an appointment. Will ask if he thinks this is a path to investigate. Thank you for your time.
You are welcome.
It was a pleasure assisting you. Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK which will be highly appreciated.
You have been most helpful in helping us explore new ideas for this ongoing problem. My daughter is considering biology fields. She is wonderingif the weakness could be explained by high levels of lactic acids?
I can see that you have not Accepted any of my answers.
The Experts like me get credit here only if you Click the Accept Button to release the payment. This is the only way to earn a positive feedback as well. I will appreciate if you do that.
High levels of lactic acid cause fatigue, not a neurological weakness.
Fatigue simply means a reduced muscle capacity to undergo a repetitive task.
This occurs when you exercise a lot, and in some other medical conditions.
Thank you and Goodluck.
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor