How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35712
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I play tennis and recently my right shoulder has started

Resolved Question:

I play tennis and recently my right shoulder has started hurting when I move it a certain way. It seems to be the top muscle, maybe bicep that goes up to the shoulder, that is affected. I have a one handed backhand which may be contributing, as those are the positions that present more pain. I have taken 2 weeks off and that seems to have helped, although it is not completely gone yet. What would this condition be called and what excersies, if any, can I do to prevent this from happening?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Following may be the possibilites;

1) Bicipital tendinitis

2) Rotator cuff disease

Majority of people with above problems will respond to physical therapy alone. A supervised regime is necessary as the exercises are tailored according to an individual. The regimen consists of active and active-assistive range-of-motion exercises combined with stretching. Other treatment modalities such as heat and massage may help. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics may also be beneficial. Deep electrotherapy in the form of short wave diathermy, Interferential current, trans cutaneous electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis also are very beneficial.

Following investigations may be required, if above do not give adequate relief;

1) X-ray of the shoulder

2) MRI of the neck and shoulder

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there specific exercises I could look up on the internet and try myself first?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.
you may try them:

Do only those exercises which are not causing pain. Gradually add others. Initial repetitions should be five times in a session which can very gradually increased up to ten.

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you