Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I need to know where I can find a compilation of "standard

I need to know where I can find a compilation of "standard care and proceedures" that the nursing profession adheres to. If there are state requirements, I live in AZ. There must be some "operating manual" that exists. I have done many searches on-line and cannot find general guidlines, etc. -nationally or statewide. Can you help? Kathy
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. You can find published nursing standards at the American Nurses Association website. Here is a link: http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ThePracticeofProfessionalNursing/NursingStandards.aspx And here are the standards for Gerontological Nursing as an example: http://www.nursesbooks.org/Main-Menu/Standards/A--G/Gerontological-Nursing-Practice.aspx
Also, you should take a look at the facility's own policy and procedure in regard to patient safety during recovery from surgery.
There is also an organization for Perianesthia Nurses (recovery room), and they also publish a book of standards:
Here are the "Rules of the State Board of Nursing" in Arizona:
See page 28 of the document for "Standards Related to Registered Nurse Scope of Practice".