How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens when someone has lived without a large

Resolved Question:

What happens when someone has lived without a large intestine for 16 yrs and one starts getting severe stomach pains and the food selectio one can eat gets less, suspected blockage. 3 times in last 2 yrs very ill, stomach cramps & violently sick. I also have proctitis and galstones.Can the large intestine not be replaced internally (rather than a colostomy)
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Just to clarify, you have had a colectomy (meaning you had your large intestine removed)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had all my large intestine removed to save my life as I had pneumocockel scepticamia (spelling?) I had a colostomy for 9 months then had a reversal op & they connected what was left in through the side near the rectum.I have never been able to eat runny (like gravy) spicy & oily since but recently (last 2 yrs) got much worse
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
if you are asking if you can replace the large intestine, no you can not - and hence you have just a small intestine directly to your anus/rectum.
And, it is difficult for some to live with, but eating good foods high in fiber would help you.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions please ask
Thank you
Dr. Owen and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what will happen if I keep getting worse as I am doing now?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
This depends, and hence a gastroenterology evaluation needs to be done.
Also, if you are having problems with your gallbladder, then a Cholecystectomy should be considered.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions, please ask, thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already spoke to you about my intestinal/abdomanal problems and the next is I have to have a colonscopy on 14th Feb. On Mon night I had a mini stroke,the symptoms were, I was talking to my son and suddenly couldn't remember things that I normally know every day, like the name of a shop, a web site address (even my own one)then I couldn't get what was in my brain to come out as words from my mouth. I was saying things back to front.My son got me to squeeze his fingers and asked me times tables. I squeezed his fingers hard & knew the simple things like 1+1 but nothing complicated. I already had a TIA 3 yrs ago.I had probs taking statins & aspirin and then took 'Bio Health Willow bark' until July this year when I heard it can cause stomach probs. So since then I haven't been covered by anything & wonder if that's why I have had the mini stroke. I took 2 soluble aspirin after the TIA and am going to the hospital tomorrow for scans.My Dr prescribed me pravastatin sodium again, even tho I had probs with them last time but can't remember what the prob was (as I have had so much illness)but think they gave me vertigo. Last time he told me to keep taking aspirin even tho they were burning my stomach, so I stopped and the specialist said I had done the right thing. Now I don't know what to take, do I take something that may save me from a stroke but could make me bleed to death (as my specialist said) Would I be safer with 'Willow bark' or do you think they do no good anyhow. I was told to take them last time by a homeopath but I see no mention about them being beneficial with a stroke
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I would definitely get seen by a Neurologist.