Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am wanting to speak to an orthopedic Dr. Two days ago my

I am wanting to speak to an orthopedic Dr. Two days ago my 88 yr old mother fell in the nursing home and broke her rt collar bone. It is an upward break of the distal end. She has not demonstrated much pain, is freely moving that arm and hand but is not raising it up. She is in a sling which she keeps taking off. She is on 600mg of Tylenol Q6 for pain. She has advanced Alzheimers, does not eat or talk coherently, and until a month ago when she suddenly started walking - had been bedridden. Since she cannot cooperate with her care - keeping that arm immoble - what is the treatment? We tried a figure 8 to put a little downward pressure on the bone but even though it was loose her skin got red after just 4 hrs so her Dr removed it. What is the proper treatment of this kind of fracture in this kind of person? What should we be cautious of? How long does it take to heal? Thank you, Elaine
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Distal end fracture should be treated with immobilzation with a sling.

mysticdoc :

Figure of 8 should not be applied as this does not support the bone properly.

mysticdoc :

Sling is the only recommended conservative treatment.

mysticdoc :

If she is not keeping the sling, then she shoud be seen by a orthopedi specialist to consider internal fixation with pins.

mysticdoc :

But sling immobilization should be adequte.

mysticdoc :

The heasling usually takes places within 6 weeks.

mysticdoc :

She shouold be encouraged to use her shoulder after 2 weeks of injury to prevent fron shoulder.

mysticdoc :

frozen shoulder.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT, if you do not have any other question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!