Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Why Do I Feel Like Pooping In The Middle Of The Night?

Customer Question
Why do I have to...

Why do I have to poop in the middle of the night?? I do have crohns disease, but this night waking is something new. Nervous.....

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
9/28/2011
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.
Is there any change in stool:
a) stool volume,

b) frequency,

c) consistency, and

d) gross appearance
Any other new symptom?

There really are no new symptoms regarding the stool. I just wake up at night in pain and need to use the bathroom immediately!

This in all likelihood is due to Crohn's disease which can have various ways of aggravation and exacerbation. This does not point to anything significant; though internal fistula (fistula between large and small intestine) should be ruled out. So a CT scan with the oral contrast would be advisable.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

I have been on Remicade for 2 1/2 years and for the most part have been doing ok, but it seems as though around the time if my period things get a little haywire. I get pain under my right ribcage and either I have to go all the time or have a difficult time going and a lot of the time just feeling like. That is all I want to do to feel better. My MD says I don't have IBS. I just want to feel better. Have you heard of anyone's Crohns flaring up when they have their period?

A period can affect the symptoms of Crohn's because hormones do affect the intestine movements. So many women may have some bowel movements change in frequency during period, though it is not common. It does not point to any complication of Crohn's like stricture.
It is a privilege assisting you.

I also wanted to mention that I also from time to time feel like something is "stuck" in my right side. I have had every test imaginable and they say nothing is wrong. It's always around the time of my period and is very scary. I feel like something is there and the only way I will feel better is to poop but sometimes I don't have to go. I have made myself go before to feel better but I know that is not the right thing to do. When I finally do go then it doesn't stop! I will go a lot during the day. It's rough and now to have to wake up in the middle of the night?? Ugh..please help!

You mentioned that you have undergone all the tests, so I assume that your CT scan and MRI too were normal. I wonder, if you had undergone colonic transit time. If not, you may get it done. This tells about the movements and time taken for stool to travel in the colon. A delay or stagnation may be the possibility. But, I emphasize that it is not likely to be anything serious or significant. A long transit time point to a concomitant IBS.

I have had that done as well. Can you tell me what a pseudo obstruction is?

A pseudo obstruction is an obstruction due to the intestine segment which does not have any movements. There is no organic obstruction (physiological obstruction is present).

So this is something not physically seen? Only lack of movement?

Yes, this can't be documented.

So you are not able to explain this "stuck" feeling I get? Feels like an obstruction but no one ever finds anything. Frustrated.

This stuck feeling as we discussed is due to abnormal colonic transit time, which is a movement disorder and point to IBS. Please get a colonic transit time study.

Is the same as a gastric emptying study? I have had that done and they tell me its normal.

No this is different.

How is this done exactly and why hasn't my MD suggested it?

You can read about it in this resource;
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463895
Difficult to say about other MD, why he did not suggest.

Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome.