Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

A week back home from 12 days in the Dominican Republic and

A week back home from 12 days in the Dominican Republic and can't stop the Diarrhea. Some cramping and loss of energy and a little lite headed. Have tryed Pepto with no luck, just now had my first dose of Imodium AD. Ideas please?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

You have what sounds like a common case of traveler's diarrhea. I agree with the Pepto Bismol as a good first try to help. This may be used up to seven doses in a day. One dose after each loose stool. This may be used for up to five days. It helps to absorb excess liquid and has anti-microbial properties.

Anthony Bray MD :

You may see your doctor. A brief course of Septra(antibiotic) twice a day for five days often helps with this problem.

Anthony Bray MD :

Taking a probiotic to help normalize the bacteria of the GI tract may also be helpful.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have a high vloume diarrhea, abdomnal pain (more than mild cramping),bloody diarrhea or fever then these would be signs that you really need to seek medical attention.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have other questions then let me know and iw ill be happy to get back with you. if my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you adn Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Bray.