Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I can't concentrate, I get distracted very easily,

Customer Question

I can't concentrate, I get distracted very easily, especially when I am reading or studying I always see objects out of my peripheral vision and get distracted. I am never all there in my given surroundings, I know this bothers the people around me, I've lost friends over this habit? or condition? I've tried to study in a quiet empty room but it makes my concentration even worse. I counted the number of discolorations on the walls. I have so many responsibilities coming up in my life, big exams, big career choices...I'm 25 years old and this situation is getting worse. I have heard that a drug called adderall might help me? I don't take any prescriptive meds and I never have unless after my few surgeries. But I need help, I can't just keep avoiding this problem...please help me. I need something that will help me concentrate, not an exercise I've tried those they don't work. The quiet room didn't work, therapy didn't work, deep breaths don't work etc... I need the real solution please
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

I would suggest that you make an appointment to see a psychiatrist. Your history suggests that you MAY have ADD (attention deficit disorder) Usually psychiatrists are the most comfortable making this diagnosis in adults and precribing treatment.

Anthony Bray MD :

The treatment options for ADD are several. You are right that Adderall is one of the options. You should be aware however that although this can be effective it can also be high in side effects and is potentially addictive. It is a stong stimulant.

Anthony Bray MD :

Ritalin and its many versions is the most common drug precribed for ADD. This tends to help and is somewhat less in side effects although there is still that potential. Like Adderall it is a strong general stimulant and is also a class 2 drug which means that the MD would have to give you a one month RX for it each month.

Anthony Bray MD :

Strattera is an option. This medication is more of a specific stimulant to the frontal cortex. It tends to be more subtle in its effect. You may not "feel" that different but are likley to find that you are more productive with your time. You are likley to be better able to finish projects and stay organized..

Anthony Bray MD :

There is the newest class which are the central alpha agonists...one of these is the drug Kapvay..it has been a BP medication but has been found to have benefit in people with ADD as well.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have other information/ questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you.

Anthony Bray MD :

At the conclusion of our interaction please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

So how do I get a prescription for any of these? What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a therapist? or am I getting them mixed up? I can't afford to make all of these appointments with doctors anymore they just keep sending me in loops. Is everyone scared to write prescriptions anymore? I understand that people abuse medication but I really need help and no doctor has been willing to help me out here.

Customer:

Every doctor that I have talked to thinks it would benefit me to talk to someone, I'm not depressed, I'm just frustrated because this is really holding me back in life but there is no help???

Anthony Bray MD :

OK you must see an MD (in person) in order to get a prescription. A psychologist may be a "doctor" but they are phDs and do not prescribe. A psychiatrist is an MD and will prescribe. Some primary care doctors might prescribe for ADD BUT many are uncomfortable in making the diagnosis of ADD in adults. It is for that reason that I suggested seeing a psychiatrist. I don't think that you need therapy for this problem. I suspect that you do have ADD.

Anthony Bray MD :

The psychiatrist is the doctor most likely to be able to help you.

Anthony Bray MD :

Don't specifically ask for any particualr drug but leave that to the doctor's judgemnet...

Anthony Bray MD :

Does this help? Do you have other questions?