Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

i weigh 529, but i have lost 13lbs in eight days. My doctor

i weigh 529, but i have lost 13lbs in eight days. My doctor does not believe i can weigh 250 through diet and excercise only. he says i need surgery? is he right, or can i continue to do the workouts and vegetable diet i have been on
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Although it is going to be difficult to lose over 250 lbs with diet and exercise, it is doable. Whether or not you are going to be able to loose the weight depends on how determined you are and how long you can continue a diet for. I definitely think you should try diet and exercise before reverting to surgery (either gastric bypass or lap band).

The fact that you are young gives you an advantage and makes it easier to loose weight.

The 13 lbs that you lost in the first 8 days is mostly water weight but it is a great start.

You should not eat a vegetable diet ONLY, you need protein in your diet and you need healthy carbohydrates. If you stick to vegetables only, you will become malnourished and you will never achieve proper weight loss.

If you are very determined about trying to loose weight with diet/exercise, it is very important that you speak to a nutritionist who can help you plan out well balanced meals, not just vegetables alone.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes to you,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am sorry, I meant to include poultry and fish in my previous entry. no salt, no sugar, no bread no rice. strictly water.

what is considered healthy carbohydrates. I always thought good comes from vegeatable. I just thought i could do it without having to have surgery. it is difficult

Ok, good. Definitely include the fish and poltry.

Carbohydrates come from sugars and they are found in most all foods - fruits, breads, potates, certain vegetables (like beets, corn and carrots), rice, pasta, desert, etc.

Some carbohydrates are good for you and should be consumed because you do need them for energy. So healthy carbohydrates come from fruits (except some that have too much - bananas, grapes, melons and all tropical fruit should be avoided), rye bread, wheat pasta, brown rice, healthy grains (buckwheat). These are the carbohydrates you can and should have but their quantity should be limited (for example, only 1 or 2 servings of fruit per day).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If I answered you questions, please do click 'Accept' button.

Julia