Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My doctor says my son needs a psychological assessment. What

My doctor says my son needs a psychological assessment. What is this and what is it supposed to reveal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

A psychological assesment may include interviewing the child and may include assesment tools possibly for you and his teacher to fill out.

Anthony Bray MD :

One issue would the slow learning which indicates some type of learning disability. This can be from a variety of causes including trouble hearing, attention deficit disorder(ADD), atttention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD). There may be emotional factors such as depression as a part of it. He might have dyslexia and could be tested for this. He might be tested for his IQ to establish if he he is learning at the rate of his ability or if some specific problem may be geeting in the way.

Anthony Bray MD :

The psychologist may also look into what consequences your history of abuse might have on him. Is his father involved with him? If not at what age did he leave? Does he have a father figure in the picture at this time? These are questions that the pschologist may look into as well as possibly affecting his emotional development.

Anthony Bray MD :

The problem of bedwetting can be for physical or emotional problems as well. So the question of possible underlying emotional problems applies in this regard as well.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfacction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button.

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD