Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What sort of specialist deals with superimposed cellulitis

What sort of specialist deals with superimposed cellulitis in the lower leg, ankle, and foot? It was revealed in an MRI. I also have a medial meniscus tear and will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon several weeks out. I understand I need to see someone sooner than that to deal with the infection, Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

Cellulitis is an infection under the skin. This may be treated by an infectious disease expert but it may be treated by a hospitalist, internal medicine of family practice doctor as well.

Anthony Bray MD :

The main thing would be the need for imediate treatment.

Anthony Bray MD :

You would likely need to be hospitalized initially as this type infection usually requires treatment with an IV antibiotic.

Customer:

My primary care physician is in family practice - I will get the MRI results to her and see it that moves this forward. My rheumatologist (fibromyalgia) received MRI has well and is more available? Would that be appropriate as well?

Anthony Bray MD :

The hospital phase typically needs to be a few days and then the patient may be treated with an oral antibiotic to completion.

Anthony Bray MD :

Rheumatologists typically do not treat infections as often as Family Practice docotrs do. If you know that either are active in treating their patients in the hospitalthen this may be an expediant way to go.

Anthony Bray MD :

These days often a patient may be referred to a hospitalist for admission of admision via the ER.

Anthony Bray MD :

You might be a direct admit to a room or may need to go through the ER.

Anthony Bray MD :

Either of your doctors would probably be able to help you along in the process though.

Customer:

I;ve worked with hospitalist before as an in patient - the ER may be the best way to get there - I will try dr. first

Customer:

Thank you! excellent info.

Anthony Bray MD :

Right , as I noted the main thing is that you get started on treatment today.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best and a quick recovery.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you should have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to presss the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD