Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My grandson has been stuttering from age 4 (preschool) and…

Customer Question
My grandson has been stuttering...
My grandson has been stuttering from age 4 (preschool) and is almost 9 yrs old... Once he gets his thoughts in line, he can talk for a long time w/o stuttering...
He does is at the beginning of his talking... so they have said he isn't bad enough for speech therapy....
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Health
7/30/2011
Health Professional: Nurse Mandy, Nurse replied 6 years ago
Nurse Mandy

My name is***** you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you wih your concern.

Since it only happens at the beginning of his talking, I agree that speech therapy is probably not needed. It is not uncommon for kids to stutter at the begining of talking, repeating a syllable a few times. It can be a sign that they are learning new ways to use language.

Things that can help are be a model by speaking slow and relaxed to him (not slow that it sounds weired but slow) and when he asks questions pause a few seconds before answering him as this will also teach patience and relaxed conversations. Practicing his talking is the key, so if they do bedtime stories with him, have him read the stories outlound to his parents. If they don't do bedtime stories then they should start.

You may want to look into voice lessons for singing. This can help him control his breathing and pronounciate his syllables and words and can actually help him with his talking.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

You may want to look into voice lessons for singing or a childrens chior. This can help him control his breathing and pronounciate his syllables and words and can actually help him with his talking.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse